Hi newbie here

charliemouse

Hello i would just like to introduce myself.
my mum has been diagnosed this year with alzheimers.
she has been given galantamine xl 8mg at the moment .

my problem is that whenever i leave the pre packed box with her she has a tendency to take too many ....

anyway i have eventually found a willing friend who will pop in each morning to make sure she takes them ok and will keep the medicines with her .... so from next week fingers crossed.

are there any others on here with opinions on how this drug has helped/ or not helped.

i am sure in the months to come i will get lots of helpful advice and will be bombarding you all with loads of questions (sorry!!!)

anyway hello for now :)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello again Charliemouse...:)

Another welcome to TP..!(I just welcomed you on another thread..:D)

My husband took Galantamine for about 3 years and it suited him very well..he gradually increased to the maximum dose and had no problems.

It's good that you have a friend who is willing and able to supervise the medication issue.

Please continue to ask any questions you want to and take your time to join in any of the discussions.

Love xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello.

I hope you find TP as helpful and friendly as I have.

I have no experience with that med but am sure others who do will be along shortly.

Last edited:

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi there,

Welcome to TP.

I, too, have no experience of the drug you mention.

Just a thought, though in case your friend can't continue in the future. Would the district nurses come in to your Mum daily? My Mum is a diabetic on insulin and the nurses come in daily to help her with it.

Hugs,

Maggie

beaglefan

Apr 7, 2010
Sorry but I have no experience of this drug but I just wanted to welcome you to TP, you will receive loads of support here.
Love
Paula x

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi Charliemouse
Welcome to TP.
I also have no experience of this drug, my Mum is on Aricept.
But don't worry about asking too many questions. I do it all the time :D:D
Take care
Kim
Mum 12,500 miles away
:(

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

hiya Charlie mouse (great name by the way lol) and a very big welcome to talking point, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
My Dad now has his medications made up by chemist in a tray called Nomad system. This is great for several reasons. Means you don't have to keep doing it and can use that time for other things! but it means no more repeat prescriptions as the order goes from GP to chemist automatically and you don't have to keep chasing round to top up the meds.

District nurses won't come in to give pills only injections. Dad now has a carer come in the morning to give him breakfast and 'encourage 'him to take meds. Reality is she just gives them to him with his breakfast and he takes them no problem.

The neighbour coming in is a great idea but nothing lasts forever so you need to think of alternatives at some point.

This forum is a fantastic source of info but importantly makes you realise you are not alone and someone will have the answer to anything that stumps you!

charliemouse

thanks everyone.

mum already gets her meds put upinto weekly trays from her local chemist.

(ironically that is what i do in my job also but it nice not to have to worry about mums too) LOL

bye for now but Im sure ill be having more questions soon.

ps. Norms name is after daughters pony Lol !!!!