Hi, looking for some guidance dealing with dad ?

rmanning

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Everyone,
my dad is 86 and been diagnosed with mixed dementia, his brain also has stroke like damage and signs of vascular damage.

we think this has been coming on quite slowly in the past 2yrs, but things are now quite obvious now we have started taking him to doctors appointments etc. was round seeing him today and he had put raw eggs in the freezer to use later?? I am sure that wont be the worst thing we come across.

however, he keeps burning himself on the steam from the kettle by reaching over it to get the sugar bowl, no matter how often I move it he does it again and again, any suggestions/alternatives we can use for kettle? we have him on meals on wheels to stop him using cooker?

any suggestions most welcome :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi and welcome to Talking Point, where I hope you will get lots of support.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances, so this suggestion may be totally useless ... but my first thought was for you to remove the kettle and leave him a large flask of hot tea already made up, that you or a visiting carer/family member/friend would replenish when necessary.

Any good?

rmanning

Sep 15, 2013
thanks Mamsgirl and Collegegirl,

need all the help and ideas I can get, goodness it is a strange world to get into, the one with someone with dementia, you have no idea what they are going to do next sometimes.

Will give these a thought not sure how we will get on as dad still has a stubborn streak and doesnt handle new technology well no matter how easy it seems to us :D. I am sure I will be on here a lot.

thanks again x