Hi! I'm Sue and I'm new!

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Hi there everyone. I am new to TP but have been a carer for a long time. Ray has had five strokes , the first aged 48 in 1990, he went back to work after six months of rehabilitation etc. Then he had two major strokes four weeks apart in 1999 which retired us, him from full time work, me from part-time work to take care of him. He has also had seizures and TIAs so life continues to be plagued with changes caused in part by his various illnesses.

He had another stroke in 2001 and another in 2005, that is when the vascular dementia became noticeable and we started on the dementia journey. As everyone here has experienced it is somewhat of a roller coaster ride.

Ray has mild to moderate dementia, confusion,slowness of action, loss of process thinking. His most common response to questions is: "I don't know" His usual method of passing time is find-a-word puzzles and he mostly sits down somewhere like our front verandah to do them.I find for me it is hard to seperate the stroke damage from the dementia symptoms but I can see signs of both.

Like the rest of you I feel isolated, frustrated by the illness and what it is doing to Ray and to my life also. I am saddened by his slowly disintegrating personality, our thrust into a premature "old age" and all the issues incurred like loss of friends, loss of financial security, opportunities for social activities etc.

We do cope from day-to-day. I manage his dementia as best I can and like the majority of you, I do feel some angst about life , the future and my ability to cope with what comes our way.

I also have a 90 year old Mum who has been in a Dementia Lodge for six years, before that she lived with Ray and I for two years. So I know what having a parent with dementia is like too.

We live on the East Coast of Australia about 50 miles north of Sydney in an area called the Central Coast. We have three grown up children and five grandchildren.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sue, welcome to TP.

We do have a few other members from Australia, so you won't be alone.

You've certainly had a rough time, starting the journey so young. I care for my husband, but we were already retired when dementia struck, so although we have a lot of the problems that you have, some we avoided.

I hope you'll find the forum a friendly place, just post if you want advice, support, or just a chat!

(I have happy memories of touring Australia in 1999, just a year before John was diagnosed.)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:

Welcome to TP.

It is a wretched disease and you are affected far too early! I met friends who had similar experiences early on - now 15 yrs later they just say 'there is life after Alzheimers'. I hope that can apply to you. In the meantime we look after our loved ones as best we can, sharing the ups and downs here on tp.

As Skye says there are regular Australian members

Do you have local support groups? Are your children able to help you? Too many questions but I am interested!

Best wishes and keep in touch Jan

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
family and support

Jan - yes to both questions. I do have some support as we have a son who lives with us and works in Sydney. Needless to say whenever a crisis arrives it always happens when he is at work. But he is some company for both of us so I don't feel as if I am coping alone.

Our other two children are married with a family. Our other son works full-time and his wife part time so they are busy with three little ones. Our daughter and son-in-law and other two grandchildren live in Cairns 1700 miles from us. So they support us via phone calls etc.

I belong to a dementia suport group and Ray and I belong to a stroke recovery group which meets monthly. This far alone the journey I wonder how long we will be able to go on with attending groups but so far, so good.

salacious

May 25, 2008
west midlands
welcome!

hi sue!

and welcome to TP, i hope you find us all a help, trust me i have found every single person on here great.
the angst you sometimes feel is totally normal, so dont worry about feeling it, just embrace it for the moment and then forget about it
lots of love

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Sue

Welcome to TP, i'm sure you'll get lots of help and support here.

Your circumstances rang a bell with me, being hard to seperate the stroke damage and dementia symptoms, but being able to see signs of both........yes, i remember that all too well.

It heartbreaking to see someone go through that, but he has your support.........and you have ours.

Love Alex x

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
more news

I just did a "family interview" for my Mum who has been in her dementia specific care home for six years now. The staff are happy with her present state ( I am too) and say she will be there until some traumatic event comes along to change her care needs.

It amazes me that she goes through these cycles,she can have a series of bad falls, illness etc. She seems to go down, down, down then for no apparent reason bobs back up again to her former level and then may be in good health for months. I attribute it to the great care she receives where she is.

I had a few offers of placements when she lived with me and did need more care than I could provide. I was so lucky I could hold out until she was abe to be placed in the Dementia Lodge, it is so good for the residents, homely but with a good program of activities. It is not the outward appearance that counts as we all know, it is the level of CARING.

I would not be here now if I had had to cope with Ray and his deficits and Mum and hers for any longer than I did. I am so glad I was able to place her in a residence that has made her feel "at home" and allowed her to have a reasonably happy life into her old age.