hi, im new

sarah<3

Apr 12, 2008
Essex
erm, well hi :)
my names Sarah, and im 15
im not really sure if this will work, but i thought it was worth a try
my aunty has Downs' syndrome, and also has alzheimers. My gran had alzheimers as well, and died when i was about 6
im finding it hard talking about it, as my dad doesnt talk about it much, and when he does he says everything so 'matter of fact', so i dont know what to say to him
he could also get alzheimers when hes older, because its genetic
im trying to deal with this the best way i can, but i have my GCSE's soon, and i find it impossible to revise and concentrate if im worried about something
im not getting much sleep, and don't like talking to my friends about it, because i dont want to make them listen to all my problems
well, thank you for reading this, i thought it would be easier on here, because im not the only one
thanks
sarah
xxxxxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No Sarah, you are not the only one, especially on Talking Point [TP]

Talk as much as you want here, your father is probably being `matter of fact ` about it as a form of self protection. I imagine he is as worried as anyone else about it.

Do you have a PHSE teacher at school, or one responsible for pastoral care? If so, I suggest you talk to her too. She may be able to help.

We have other young posters here who are very worried about family members. A Thread was started but it seemed to get lost. It might help you.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=9617&highlight=young+carers

sarah<3

Apr 12, 2008
Essex
thank you
yea, i think hes acting like this so as not to upset me and my brother and sister, but in a way, it makes it a bit worse, because i feel like im the only one who's getting upset by this
my PSHE teacher is a bit useless, but im sure i could find someone else to talk to :)
i'l look at that thread then, thank you again
sarah
xxxxxxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sarah, welcome!

You're young to be worrying about this, but I understand why you would.

Have you been told that it's the genetic form of the disease? Because most forms of Alzheimer's aren't genetic. The genetic form is quite rare, but if your dad has been told that it is in your family, I can understand why he wouldn't want to talk about it.

Please post on here if you have any questions or worries, lots of us will try to help you. And if you can find someone outside the family to talk to, that would be great.

You might find this factsheet helpful

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/450

But try not to worry about it. Your exams are the most important thing at the moment.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Sarah and welcome to Talking Point.

You know, the type of Alzheimer's your grandmother had might not be genetic. I realise that your aunt also has Alzheimer's but unfortunately, people with downs syndrome DO get AD (or rather, what is described as Alzheimer's) at a much more increased rate than the general population. According to this fact sheet http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/442

"People with Down's syndrome are at particular risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in adult life and this risk increases with age. Research suggests that over half of people with Down's syndrome in their 60s have Alzheimer's."

In other words the fact that both she and your grandmother have/had AD may be a coincidence rather than genetic.

sarah<3

Apr 12, 2008
Essex
thank you Jennifer and Hazel :)
i havn't spoken to my dad properly about it, but he said they think it might be genetic
thanks for the fact sheets, i'l look at them now
sarah
xxxxxxxxx

DuskStar

Mar 22, 2008
I'm 20 now, but my Granpa died from AD when I was 18. I just wanted you to know that your not the only young person worried about a family member. I worried constantly throughout my GCSE's and A-Levels. If you can find someone to confide in, then do, it will help.

Take care,

Sarah (my name too!) :)

sarah<3

Apr 12, 2008
Essex
thank you duskstar/sarah :)
im trying not to worry too much about it at the moment, because im halfway through my gcse's and im doing ok
ive got an amazing friend, whos really good at listening, so i tell him everything
thanks again
xxxxxx

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
There's nothing I can say which will help Sarah except to say that I'm sorry you're carrying such a load.
I'm really glad that you have such a good friend. Tell him how much you appreciate his 'listening ear' and 'be there 'for him too.
You sound like a really gutsy courageous and caring young woman.
with the GCSE's.