Hi, I'm new here & need help

bella1

Nov 6, 2008
Hello

My mother has been loosing her communication skills. She is now unable to have a proper conversation as what she says doesn't make sense. She is also more confused and her memory is worse.

I think she may be depressed and is lonely as she & my Dad do not communicate much. She also doesn't sleep well & has a thyroid problem. These could be simple reasons for her problem but we don't know.

She puts it down to old age. My sister contacted her GP but the GP has showed little interest.

We don't want to upset our mum by suggesting she has dementia. Can anyone advise as to how we approach this problem with her and/or get her to see the GP herself regarding the problem?

All advise greatlfully received.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Hi Bella.

I think that you will find that the first port of call must be the GP.

They seem to be the people that can start the ball rolling regarding the tests that need to be carried out on your Mother.

Are you able to accompany your Mother to the GP and explain your fears?

Our GP did not mention dementia at all, at my request. He referred to the condition as a "memory problem" and Jean was comfortable with that.

I hope this helps a little and i am sure that someone wil help further before long.

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
bella

Bella i am sorry to hear about your mum ,you never said how old she is,you realy should have a word with her docter and get some blood test .my mum had demtia and the gp was realy very kind and understanding.i wish you well hope you get all the suport you need grany gee

POPPIT

Nov 5, 2008
East Yorkshire
Hi Bella
My mum was like yours and the main problem we had was she would not see a doctor. In the end I rang her doctor and told him her symptoms and he was great we came up with a plan of getting her to go for her annual flu jab and I took her. The doctor asked if she had any other worries and it all came pouring out. I think it is just that initial appointment, they know something is wrong but dont want to face the truth. The doctor gave her a memory test, but did it in such a way she was not aware. Now we visit a memory clinic every 3 months and she has got to know the staff and we dont have a problem getting her to go, unless she is tired. She was diagnosed a year ago, she is on medication and although we know she will not get better she is doing well, has good and bad days. Ring your doctor and explain, apart from helping your mum it will help you.
all the best
poppit

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You say her doctor has shown little interest? This may be the time to be a bit more formal in your approach - write a letter detailing your concerns. Essentially put the GP on notice that he/she should be watching this issue. It is quite likely that the GP will refuse to discuss her health issues with you, but it does no harm at all to make sure they know you are watching THEM.

If your mother has thyroid problems she should be seeing her GP on a regular basis anyway, surely?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Dose you mother take medication for her thyroid problem?

As I have read that thyroid problem can mimic symptoms of dementia.

Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid

No matter what the cause, a person whose thyroid gland is underactive can experience symptoms similar to those of Alzheimer's disease, including memory loss, irritability, and depression. However, hypothyroidism only accounts for a small number of dementia cases. The key to an accurate diagnosis is the presence of other symptoms common to hypothyroidism but not necessarily present in Alzheimer's disease, including weight gain; coarse, dry hair; hair loss; dry, rough skin; and constipation. Generally speaking, hypothyroidism can be detected with a simple blood test, although certain cases may require more extensive testing to ensure accurate results.

The condition is readily managed with thyroid medication, but it will require lifelong monitoring to make sure that the dose of thyroid is adequate. After the condition is under control, the memory loss and other cognitive symptoms have a good chance of improvin http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dum...s-that-Mimic-Alzheimer-s-Disease.id-2314.html

We don't want to upset our mum by suggesting she has dementia. Can anyone advise as to how we approach this problem with her and/or get her to see the GP herself regarding the problem?

Will your mother talk to you openly about her thyroid medication . does your mother take medication ?

As that could be a way in, into taking your mother to see the doctors with you , then just mention the change in behavior your mother having , would like further bloods tests done .

Last edited: