Hi i'm a newbie

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Hi to you all.

My Nan has shown signs of Dementia for the past few months in varying degrees, the worst being during the last 2-3 months. She is 75, still has a wicked sense of humour, can't remember a thing bless her, but I love her to bits.

I amazingly pursuaded her to go to the doctor for an MOT and she has refered her to a psychiatrist, who will be visiting on Wednesday next week.

I am, currently, sole carer so it is great to have this forum, which i am sure will be best friend over the next few months :)

Nice to meet you all :)

Florida Mel x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mel

Welcome to Talking Point.

Please let us know how your Nan gets on with the visiting Psychiatrist.

You did well to get your Nan to the doctor`s.

Love xx

maddie5177

Sep 18, 2008
scotland
hi florida mel,

glad you found this site, you will get lots of comfort and support i'm sure,.... hope everything goes well on wed

love n hugs
Maddie x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to TP:

I do hope you get the support you need via your Phyciatrist - PLEASE let us know how you get on.
Your Nan sounds like a wonderful lady :).

As time goes on you will find this site invaluable.

To sidetrack - I am curious about the Florida 'name' and yet you are based in Manchester :confused::confused::confused:
(climate wise they are no where near the same#

Love Jan

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Hello and welcome to TP:

I do hope you get the support you need via your Phyciatrist - PLEASE let us know how you get on.
Your Nan sounds like a wonderful lady :).

As time goes on you will find this site invaluable.

To sidetrack - I am curious about the Florida 'name' and yet you are based in Manchester :confused::confused::confused:
(climate wise they are no where near the same#

Love Jan

I will do and thank you for your kind words :)

Oh and the name has stuck since my 1st trip to the sunshine state a few years back. I love Florida and a few people nick named me Florida Mel, I'm a bit of a bore on the subject sometime :rolleyes:

Thanks again Jan :)

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Welcome to TP! I'm sure you'll find it great source of help and comfort.
I joined in August and its been great, however you feel, whatever emotions your experiencing you can post here, knowing people will truly understand what you are going through and offer whatever advice they can.

Take care

Lanie

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Welcome to TP! I'm sure you'll find it great source of help and comfort.
I joined in August and its been great, however you feel, whatever emotions your experiencing you can post here, knowing people will truly understand what you are going through and offer whatever advice they can.

Take care

Lanie

Thank you Lanie. This forum is just what i needed and i think i have found it just at the right time.

Thanks for your message :)

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Memory clinic.

Dont know where to post this(second attemted).Ihave wrote before about the long wait for visits from the above,should be every six months been waiting ten now,but today my wife got a LETTER!She could not read it but well...... It was an appointment for november,but they are to busy to visit now so my wife has to go to them, they recomend i go with her!Are these people real? she cant get to the end of the road on her own.So i phoned them and refused to go (round trip of about nine miles on the bus)they will have a meeting about it and get back to me,god knows they do little enough but as they told me in the past, there is nothing they can do_On a lighter note i have found a wine i have been looking for for six years since i tasted it in Naples have orderd it on the internet and am now waiting.Yummy. regards to all.

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Hi Beechwood

Thanks for visiting my thread.

Dont know where to post this(second attemted).I

I'm a newbie to the forum so a bit rubbish at being able to reply to your questions. i think it would get more advice/replies if it was somewhere else but i have no idea how to do that. Sorry :( I'm sure one of the experts will however :)

Hey great news about the wine. Enjoy :cool:

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Florida Mell

First welcome.The only place to be.Manchester not like Florida? we have oranges and people wearing strange shorts,watever the weather, they should visit more often,true the tide has gone out but it will be back!!!Very best wishes.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi
I haven't been around that long and we are only at the beginning with mum- Don't often have the answers but there are many on here who do.

Welcome to Tp - you will find great advice here

Julie and Ian xx

think pink

Aug 1, 2008
Teesside
Hi there and welcome to TP :)
Your nan sounds like a lovely lively lady.
Please let us know how it goes on wednesday, there is soooooo much help and advice from the lovely caring people on here. But do you know what the best part is???????????????????
Everyone understands what everyone is going through and that is such a relief.
I'm relatively new here too and have already had so much valuble info.
Anyway take care and look forward to speaking with you soon.
Love and best wishes xxx

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Thanks to everyone

Thank you, Think Pink and everyone who has read my post and replied. Your kindness and support already has been overwhelming and has been very much appreciated.

I feel like I have had 2 bricks removed from each shoulder since i have read your replies and posts, and I'm only just starting on this journey :)

Thank you all ;)

scatterbrain

Jan 10, 2008
Berkshire
Hi Florida Mel,

Well done for getting your Nan to go to a doctor! I had the same sort of situation with my Mum, and she did go in the end. She is now in a Residential Care home near where I live, and she is reasonably content and, more importantly, safe.

One other thing I had to do: Power of Attorney. I can now do all her money things for her because she really can't cope with it herself. It took a doctor to advise her to do it, but she is of the generation that still thinks doctors can do no wrong so she took his advice seriously. Also she had been defrauded by some fly-by-night and lost quite a lot of money, so it was not a second to early to do it.

Your Nan is a lucky lady to have you to look out for her: please remember that when it gets tough!

God bless!

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Hi Florida Mel,

Your Nan is a lucky lady to have you to look out for her: please remember that when it gets tough!

God bless!

Hi Scatterbrain

Thank you so much for your reply and for the part i have highlighted above.

I think i'm the lucky one to have her in my life, I have some wonderful memories of the time before the big 'A'.

I will take your advice and remember those times when the journey get more difficult :)

Thank you again :)