Hi I'm a new member

Ali M

Jun 21, 2006
Plymouth
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and just trying to find some help and info about my situation and my dad. My Dad is only 61 and has Alzheimers he lives alone and i am trying to care for him and would love to do more. I am 23 and work 25 hours a week. My partner works full time and has 3 children. I find caring for my Dad hard work we get no extra help at the moment as everytime i try and get help for us we hit a brickwall, mainly because he is so young. I am unable to register myself as a caring as i work. I have called the Alzheimers society today and they have given me some really helpful info on were to get help and how. I dread to think what would happen if i didn't live near him, i mean how bad does he need to get before we get help? At the moment he barely cleans or cooks for himself, his personal hygene has gone and he forgets to take his medication, aswell as all the other effects from Alzheimers. :confused:

Tinylou

Jun 5, 2006
Ruislip middlesex..for now!
Hi..

Hi Alli..
You sound desperate in your post. Im not able to help very much, but just want you to know that this site is FAB>> i have only been a member for 2 weeks, and the support that ive had is great. If there are any ways to help you, then the fab people here will do.
My dad will be 80 soon, hes had Alzheimers for a while, but we were told it was senility! i was beginnig to wonder if it was me who was the senile one?? I dont live near my dad, my sister cares for him as much as dad will let her. Makes me feel like a waster, as i live 100 miles away.
I know the carer thing is a minefield, so many rules and regs, and so many brick walls too.. dont give up, ok.
Just do what you can Honey, but remember, you need to care for you too..
Hey, im not much help, but if you ever need an ear.. ok.
My name is Tina, and i live in Ruislip,Middx for now,(but own a place in Ivybridge!!)
Take care, and dont forget, tomorrow is another day..
x

Ali M

Jun 21, 2006
Plymouth
:)
Thank you both for replying to my post. I have been in contact with the Alzheimers society who have pointed me in the right direction to see if my Dad can get any home help. I am currently following those paths. It is nice to hear from people that know how hard everything is and to know i'm not the only one going through this.

Thank you again

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Ali

Sounds as though you need to get help now. Can you speak to you Dad's doctor. My mum and Dad used to have visits from the district nurse through the surgery. Although it was mainly for my dad who had cancer, they also checked up on mum as well. Obviously it can be quite dangerous if your dad can't cook for himself. Mum used to take things out of the freezer, let them defrost, put them in the fridge, then we'd go in the next day, and they'd be back in the freezer!! She would also leave the oven on, so I think you need to speak to Social Services and the Doctor.

I think it's really hard when their personal hygeine goes - it makes it all seem so incredibly sad when pride in their appearence is lost.

Take care

Libs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086