Hi, I live in with my father who has Alzheimer’s. He’s very placid & can still hold a conversation. Myself & local carers take him out for a drive ev

Aloevera

Mar 1, 2021
Hello I moved in with my father 6 months ago, he has Alzheimer’s & is very placid, but he would be upset & frightened if we left him to live on his own. We were wondering if anyone else has thought of joining up with others in this situation & sharing live in care. We had live in carers for 8 months, before my mother died from Parkinson’s disease & it seems sensible to consider offering a room or two at my fathers house, to someone who would like to keep their relative in a comfortable private home, rather than a care home & share live in care costs. I’m not sure if anyone else has thought of or done this? Thank you

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Aloevera and thanks for posting this although not a concept I have ever thought about As we just dont have room enough for all our own needs. Until recently we were thinking of Assisted Living flat with help on hand but my partner refused as she has refused even a single carer calling in.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Aloevera , it sounds a lovely idea, but I'm not sure it would work. My mother in law is on the whole very placid and very happy for the most part in her own home with regular care from family and a care agency. I think she would be very confused if anyone else moved in and would resent it, and I wonder if your father would too. I could also see it being a nightmare with insurance etc.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with their take on this.

Last edited:

Myrock

May 16, 2021
Hello I moved in with my father 6 months ago, he has Alzheimer’s & is very placid, but he would be upset & frightened if we left him to live on his own. We were wondering if anyone else has thought of joining up with others in this situation & sharing live in care. We had live in carers for 8 months, before my mother died from Parkinson’s disease & it seems sensible to consider offering a room or two at my fathers house, to someone who would like to keep their relative in a comfortable private home, rather than a care home & share live in care costs. I’m not sure if anyone else has thought of or done this? Thank you
Hi, I’m in Avery similar position. My father lives with myself and my 3 children.
He is 91 years old and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about 4 years ago.
He has a very placid character and easy to look after albeit I do have carers come to my home to put him on the commode 4 times a day. I pay someone to sit with dad 3 times a week so that I can continue with my work commitments.
where do you live?
I think your idea sounds great, I’m sure a social worker will be able to advise you on your idea.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
@Myrock a warm welcome to DTP.
It’s good to see you posting and joining the discussions, I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post for support and to share your experiences.