Hi I live here in the UK but my Mum lives in Spain.

RosarioMontse

Feb 16, 2021
Hi
I live here in the UK but my mother lives in Spain. We lost my father in November 2019 and my Mum was 'diagnosed' with Dementia. She coped very well but recently she can't communicate with us very well at all over the phone, I notice that she is desperate to talk and ask questions, but just can't get her words out! It is all' mumble jumble' - is this a normal symptom please?
Thank you so much.

Warm regards
Rosario

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @RosarioMontse

This is a symptom know as 'aphasia' and is one experienced by my wife. Unfortunately it can get worse. My wife was helped in the early stages by a language therapist but I don't know if such support is available in Spain.

RosarioMontse

Feb 16, 2021
Hello and welcome to the forum @RosarioMontse

This is a symptom know as 'aphasia' and is one experienced by my wife. Unfortunately it can get worse. My wife was helped in the early stages by a language therapist but I don't know if such support is available in Spain.
oh right, thank you so much for your reply. I will try and find out. I had no idea. Its very distressing to listen to her and know how to help

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @RosarioMontse

Does your mum live by herself now that your dad has died? Is there anyone who lives in Spain looking out for her? She will find it very difficult to get things done if she has lost her speech and she may be losing other skills too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @RosarioMontse
a warm welcome to DTP

so tough on the both of you being in different countries ... are there any plans for your mum to return to the UK

I wonder if contacting this site may help you get your mum some support - there's a button to get a translation
Alzheimer CEAFA

and the pages on th main AS sit may give you more info - plus there's the Support Line number, so you could talk in real time with someone
Dementia and language | Alzheimer's Society