hi i am back

sammie

Aug 2, 2007
west yorkshire
hi everyone

i visited this forum way back when dad was in the early stages of alzheimers i will tell you a bit about my dad and where we are at now.

my dad was diagnosed when he was 70 he is now 79 so thats 9 years that as a family we have managed to care for dad and keep him at home with mum . we have experienced every twist and turn that alzheimers has thrown at us.

unfortunately last december my dad became very aggressive with all of us especially my mum , he was i think having a psychotic episode he was talking constantly always in the 3rd person , not sleeping he pushed my son ( who is 18 up against the wall) we accepted this as part of the illness and my son bless him said its ok grandad doesnt know he is doing this . but because he was so aggressive we had to get him into the local elderly psychiatric unit. where he still is now we have seen him literally drugged up with medication ( i did tell the not to give him any anti psychotics ) instead they put him on anti epilepsy drugs ( epilim) he has had pnemonia which put him in hospital , he is loosing weight and his mobility is terrible. but the wosrt part is he is crying all the time it breaks my heart to see him so upset there is nothing i can do to help him feel better.

we have found a lovely home for him and are just waiting for the results of the funding meeting we have applied for NHS continuing care funding the unit he is in is only an assesment unit and i just want to get him settled in his new home . overall the care he has recieved has been ok although i have complained about a few things!

i hope i havent bored anyone but i just needed to tell my story and try and cope with the crying and sheer look of despair on my dads face

i recently completed my degree and i so wanted my dad to know but he doesnt and i know he would be so proud of me i miss being able to just talk to him and tell him things

samantha xxx

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Oh Samantha, my heart goes out to you, your poor family seeing your Dad like this. You are all amazing to have kept him at home for so long, it is my dearest wish to be able to do this for my Daddy.
Congratulations on achieving your degree too! Maybe when he goes to his new home you could put a big picture up on the wall, if he has a lucid moment, I don't know, perhaps he'll know deep down. (I know, but I live in hope....)
Stay strong,
Jane xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Samanther
congratulations on your degree.

You've all coped so well looking after your dad with this awful disease.

I and im sure many others here will relate to the crying. personally I've found that when mum is like this nothing I do helps for more than a few seconds. sometimes their is a cause but as they can't tell us it's difficult to say the least. could it be pain or infection ?.
Also I've read somewhere on here about a condition think it's called Emotional
Lability (sp?) it's where a person may not be feeling the emotion they are displaying.

Hope you get funding soon and find a lovely place for your dad.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Hello Sam, sorry your dad has come to this stage, it is heartbreaking to watch your dad like this, you must be a very strong family to have kept dad at home so long, hope the funding is in place soon to enable you to get dad settled in his new home, Your dad would have been so proud of you obtaining your degree, lets hope he knows, has he seen you in your cap and gown, might just trigger something, Trev seems to respond to uniforms , Stay strong and give my love to your mum also Pam

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Samantha,

I think you and your family are just amazing. It is wonderful that you have all coped this long looking after your dad.

It is so sad when you can't share the same things with your loved ones. That is one thing that I find very hard with mum.

Congratulations on your degree - that is wonderful news.

Take care of yourself and try and keep strong.

Love
Michele
xxx

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
hi sammie
its really great how you have coped with dad
congratulations on completing your degree...im sure it was made even tougher with your dads health.......

it gives me confidence that you are making the best decisions for dad and that i will be able to when the time comes

thanks for sharing your story
tim xxx

sammie

Aug 2, 2007
west yorkshire
hi

well we had the assesment for dad for NHS continuing care and he didnt get it he was not severe enough ( although we know he is ) these people have no idea i felt like taking her to dad and saying look at him although i did say what i felt and i dont think they liked that but i dont care it needed to be said.

anyway he moves into his new home tommorow which i am glad about its a lovely place and i am sure he will settle in ok .

samantha x

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Samantha,

I am really sorry you didn't get the NHS Continuing Care. Glad you told them how you felt though. I totally agree with you, sometimes things just have to be said.

I hope you dad settles into his new home tomorrow.

Let us know how things go.

Love
Michele
xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm