Hi from Newbie Dad awaiting diagnosis

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi All,
Thought I should introduce myself.
I care for Dad who is 89 and had various health issues including a stroke back in 2009.
His memory is hardly ever tested as he does so little but the most noticeable decline has been in the TV remote control. He has now reached the stage where he presses buttons randomly , various boxes pop up on display and settings go all over the place and he tells me it isn't working. I have noticed this is worst in the evening so is this sundowning? I can spend ages with him just explaining how to go from BBC1 to BBC2. I can say it in 10 differnt simple ways and he still doesn't get it.
He has had the GP referral to memory clinic who did a home visit and he failed the first stage of the test so a memory nurse did another home visit and carried out the ACE test where he scored 65 out of 100. I believe anything lower than 82 points towards dementia. I am awaiting contact from a consultant to appear with a diagnosis. Not sure if it will be alzheimers or vascular dementia.
Thought it would be useful to chat in a dementia forum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry to read about your dad's problems but I'm glad you've found TP. You'll get lots of help and support here. In turn that will help your dad.

Good luck with the diagnosis process.

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Remote control

I know where you're coming from. My husband has vascular dementia and whenever he tried using our remote he would leave the TV it in such a state I had to spend so much time setting it back to 'normal' I found a simple remote in Amazon which only has 2 buttons for sound and 2 to change programme (up or down 1by 1) I keep the other more complicated remote out of sight when I'm not around. Seems to work well for us . Hope this helps

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Izzy and Redpoppy
Thanks for the welcomes and thanks Redpoppy for the tip on remote controls. I am already glad I joined this forum:) I will be looking at Amazon to try and spot something similar. That is exactly what I need, Volume control and channel up and down. Dad is not safe with anything else LOL.
I have already bought a replacement remote from Amazon because Dad has played with the old one so much all the characters have worn off the buttons and most of them are just blank now.
Can I ask Redpoppy what stage of dementia you would equate this with. I am struggling to place Dad on a scale if you see what I mean

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Have just ordered one- I didn't know you could buy such things before- thank you so much

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Remote control

So glad to have been able to help. You will find answers here to the many problems that arise when caring. I am not able to say at what stage my husband is other than he was diagnosed with mixed dementia (mild) 5yrs ago,but had a stroke 4yrs ago which affected his speech. His diagnosis now is vascular dementia with heart failure. I think this type of dementia is more gradual than Alzheimer's and my husband is able to continue with his personal care,and can be left on his own for 2hours or so if I want to pop out without him getting too anxious. I take my mobile phone and he is still able to use the landline to ring me if he wants me--I have set our big button phone with just 4 quick dial numbers.Myself,and each of my daughters. I forgot to mention he is 86yr.old.