Hi from New Member

maz18

Nov 30, 2007
Hi Everyone
I came across TP whilst looking on the Alzheimers web site.
My father was struck down with this illness in 2004
He went into EMI Nursing Home for 3 weeks where he was abused and had everyhing stolen from him clothes shaver,teeth,hearing aids,glasses. I moved him. The next home was supposed to be one of the best in my town according to Social Services.

My dad died in July which was a blessing but I am struggling with the treatent he received in these homes. In the second home he was abused bruising which they attempted to hide. I was paying £2000 for them to keep him comfortable feed him which they apparently couldn't do this. It was easier to drug him up miss meals and allow him to suffer hypos as he was also diabetic.
Thank you for reading this I feel better for writing it. Regards Maz

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Maz.

I`m so sorry about your father.

I know it is too late for you but we are having a big discussion about care homes at present.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=8853

It was only after my mother died and I came to Talking Point, that I realized just how awful the first home she was in actually was. Luckily I was able to move her in time.

I can only suggest you write a formal complaint about the care your father received and send it to your MP, Ivan Lewis MP, and the CSCI. It is only by complaining to the people who matter that we can change the disgrace of some of our care homes.

Please keep in contact with Talking Point. You will receive a lot of support from people who understand.

Take care xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Messages just seem to get worse regarding loved ones

Hello Maz,
Welcome to Talking Point. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your Father.
By acting on the previous thread, letters etc., in doing that, at least for your Father's memory you would have done it so no one else suffers in that babaric way.
I wish you all the best. Christine

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
HI MAZ

My dad looked after my mum full time,24 hours a day for 8 years after 4 years she went for respite in a care home. I can not tell you the amount of times i came from seeing her in there crying. One certain care home just left her, when i use to visit she would be wet through, drugged up i think it makes there jobs easy in some cases. She never came out with any of her clothes even though my dad had put name tags in all of them. Once we had a call she had banged her head but nothing to worry about, when my sister and i got there her head was shaved and she had about 5 stitches in it no one could tell us what happend. My mum is no longer with us but it is just heartbraking for loved ones to see them in care homes knowing they are not getting looked after as they should. The last care home we got her in was just wonderfull they were so careing always checking to see if patients needed changeing makeing sure they were all fed.

take care all kathy

plastic scouser

Sep 22, 2006
Hale Village, Liverpool
Hi Mazz

My dear Dad passed away just over 11 months ago - and I've finally had the complaint about his care taken up by the Parliamentary Health Ombudsman...

Don't let the beggars get away with it, keep on pushing for some sort of resolution - at the very least it might have implications for others who are unfortunate enough to be in your Dad's situation in the future - at least that's how I look at it. If nothing else, I've been able to cause the muppets in the social services and mental health care teams a bit of trouble and work - something that they didn't do much of in relation to Dad....

So that can't be a bad thing can it?!