Hi Everyone

ELANO

Oct 7, 2007
OLDHAM, GTR MANCHESTER
This is my first time on the TP, and just wanted to get a few things off my chest.
I am sooooooooo worried about my mum, who is the kindest, most caring, warm-hearted, compassionate person I have ever known, and is also my best friend, but she is also very independant !!!!!
My mum was a ward sister at the local hospital and was used to 'nursing' others. Mum is recently retired and is 61yrs old. She worked so hard all her working life and was looking forward to retirement, until 4-5yrs ago......................My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers at the age of 58.
My dad was brilliant at his trade, and always worked so hard...........I could go on all night about his qualities...............I love him so much.
Sadly, this cruel illness is taking over him, and I lose a bit of my dad everyday.
I'm 38yrs old now and I too suffer from a neurological illness.......Multiple Sclerosis.
I have good and bad days.
What I am trying to say is I worry so much about mum.
Dad was put on Aricept, but his consultant has changed the tablet now to Rimanyl.
Me and mum (and maybe dad?) have noticed quite a big degeneration recently, and 'things' are becoming increasingly difficult.
I love my mum with all my heart.
Is there anything we can do ?????
Thanks for being there guys!
ELANO

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to TP ELANO.

I`m really sorry you have so much worry about your parents on top of the worry about your own condition.

As your mother was a nurse, she`ll be well aware of all the support services and know how to contact them when she`s ready.

Until then all you can do is support your parents as much as you can and visit TP whenever you want for support and information for yourself.

There is always someone here for you.

Take care

Love xx

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hello ELANO and welcome to TP

It's because you love and care about your Mum and Dad, that makes you worry about them.
Having MS yourself, means, as you say, that you have good days and bad, I expect your Parents do their share of worrying about you.
Love is a wonderful emotion, with feelings of joy and then on the other hand can bring so much pain.
I hope you have someone close who you can open up to, it's good to have an outlet when you need to talk.
This is a great Forum, there are people out here who understand what you are going through.
Everyone of us, who has had their hopes and dreams dashed by AZ are learning to accept living their lives, but differntly, one day at a time.

I hope you will get all the support and comfort you need from TP members, we are all here for each other, because we understand.
Take Care
Janetruth x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Me and mum (and maybe dad?) have noticed quite a big degeneration recently, and 'things' are becoming increasingly difficult.

Sadly they not a lot that can be done after medication is given and still you see the degeneration happening

All that can be done now is get more support for your mother , when things are becoming increasingly difficult like you say . as in respite , day-center and all that depends if your mother , father agree with it .

mazzer

Oct 3, 2007
Tootiing
Welcome - I am a newbie as well - This is a great site and it has helped me tremendously - I only joined last week and already feel hugged.

Take a day at a time and listen to the help and advice you get on here, we are all at different stages strugglling in one way or another with this terrible illness - we all need help and even just a hug -

God bless

Mazzer

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Elano:

To add to other comments may I suggest that you and/or your Mum contact your local organiser of the Alz. Society. If you have a good group it can be a source of advice, support and contact with others in the same situation.

It is a hellish illness to cope with but you will get much support and help here on TP.

Take care Jan

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Elano.why was the medication changed from aricpet to reminyl?I am aware that cerain meds are given for the"precison" of the disease at the time of diagnosis.Have you questioned the change in meds?as far as i am aware reminyl is used to treat mild to moderate symptoms of A/Z.is this not good for you and your family.love elainex

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Elano,
Welcome to TP, I am sorry to read of your situation things must be very hard for you all. You have received some good advise here, I can only offer support and I hope that you find lots of help and advise on the best ways of dealing with this miserable disease. Regards Taffy.

ELANO

Oct 7, 2007
OLDHAM, GTR MANCHESTER
elaineo2 said:
Dear Elano.why was the medication changed from aricpet to reminyl?I am aware that cerain meds are given for the"precison" of the disease at the time of diagnosis.Have you questioned the change in meds?as far as i am aware reminyl is used to treat mild to moderate symptoms of A/Z.is this not good for you and your family.love elainex

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ELAINEO2.
I VE JUST READ THE WEB=LINK THAT PETROV HAS GIVEN ME ON 'MEDICATION'.
APPARENTLY, BOTH ARICEPT RIMANYL AND EXELON ARE ALL 3 USED FOR MILD TO MODERATE AZ.
DAD/MUM GO BACK TO SEE CONSULTANT IN JUST OVER A WKS TIME, SO I WILL ASK MUM TO QUESTION THE CHANGE OF TABS, I'M SURE MUM GOT TOLD AT THE TIME THOUGH, I JUST HAVEN'T QUESTIONED THE CHANGE MYSELF LUV ?!
ANYWAY, THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY.
HOPE ALLS WELL WITH YOU.
LOVE 'N' HUGS
ELANO
X

ELANO

Oct 7, 2007
OLDHAM, GTR MANCHESTER
Petrus said:
Elano,
There is a Society fact sheet on medicines for Alzheimer's http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Treatments/info_drugs.htm

As you will see, Aricept and Reminyl are different chemicals but do a similar thing. As somone else suggested, you will need to ask the consultant why (s)he chose to change the medication

PETRUS..................THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, I USED YOUR WEB-LINK AND GOT SOME GOOD INFO FROM THE SITE............THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH !!!
HOPE EVERYTHING'S OK WITH YOU.
ALL MY BEST WISHES AND LOVE 'N' HUGS TO YOU PETRUS
ELANO
X