hi everyone

oldsoulchild

Apr 16, 2008
hi everyone,
thought i would pass on some good news, usually when i come on talking point its because i have a question about how to cope with a certain situation or to get some moans and groans off my chest
but today i have some better news,
after mam quickly became more and more unsafe, wandering further away for longer periods of time, confused more than ever and the police bringing her back from tesco's! i had to face the fact that she needed more help than i can offer on my own,
so it was agreed that she had an emergency placement into a care home,
she's been in 4 weeks now and is doing GREAT, she looks 10years younger, she's still not sleeping well but apart from that, she's fine, she's eating everythin put in front of her, she's clean, she's safe, she's very bored and so she helps the staff to clean the rooms and make the beds etc. theyve told her she lives there, i told her she was there for a break and would come home soon, she now thinks its where she works, which it is really :)
i never thought id be happy leaving her in a care home but, i want to reassure anyone who's thinking of putting their loved one into a home, its not so bad, the staff love my mam and she's known as lovely Rita, i go to see her everyday and she's often sat with the staff having a good old joke and usually a cup of tea with biscuits :p
im not happy that i had to agree for her to go there, i wish she could have stayed home but i'm an only child and have two jobs, i just coudnt give her what she needs. i dont feel guilty because i know ive done the right thing. im moving into her house and bringing her home tomorrow to help me decorate :)
i just wanted to share some happier news with you all and let you know a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and anyone struggling with the idea should give it a go. xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello oldsoulchild, it's such good news that your mum has settled so quickly. My mum thinks she works in her care home. It seems to be fairly common. Please let us know how you and your mum are getting on.

Turbo

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
I'm so glad this is all working out for you.

It is such an encouragement to those of us who may have to face this soon. Lovely and positive.

Thank for sharing it.

Maggie

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
I'm glad this is going so well for you both! It has been my experience too. Dad went into a nursing home in March, and he is happier and healthier than he had been in over a year. When he arrived he had been unable to walk for a couple of months and had lost a huge amount of weight (he'd had pneumonia and spent a couple of months in hospital- not a happy experience.) Now he's eating well, has gained weight and has been walking for over a month. Yesterday they told me he had been for a stroll with a carer, and she was just there in case he stumbled, but he was walking well without any support! I had always felt that the illness would progress in a downward direction, but not in this case. He enjoys the company and the food, he takes his medication and he puts up with being bathed and made to wear clean clothes (all of which were things we had battles about!)
So like you, I have been pleasantly surprised by how well he took to living in a home.
I hope your decorating goes well,
love Sue

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
wonderful post, thanks for sharing such lovley news, its not all doom and gloom, and thats always always so lovely to hear about, its so easy to just post when things are tough - so thank you again, its certainly good to know things can be and are sometimes easier.
Starshine x

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Hi

:)What a lovely post to share. I also moved my mum into a carehome 3 months ago and she has settled really well and like you I know is was the right thing to do and I also feel as if a weight has been lifted.
I hope she continues to be very happy and settled:)
Dibs (Deborah) x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hi, oldsoulchild - this made such cheerful reading and thank you so much for posting. I am so happy for you and your mum.

Love, Nan XXX