Hi everyone, new to this site so please bear with me... Mum has Alzheimers, I have long-term MH problems of my own. I’m finding this all so hard...

Dizzy Lou

Jul 2, 2020
South East
Mum was diagnosed 18m ago. Since lockdown she has become more childlike in fact we probably get on better than we’ve ever! But I feel so bad though, I have serious MH problems of my own, inc. agoraphobia due to PTSD, plus, plus ... and the feeling of being trapped is SO strong now. I have a brother who lives counties away and my own family who don’t understand my head let alone Mum’s!! I adore Mum, more than ever, (complicated childhood... ) I feel so alone now, with her declining, but I’m getting little support for my issues and now I have Mum on top. I feel so selfish with everything, but I often can’t care for me, and now my lovely Mum... Don’t hate me for being honest, please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hi dizzy lou, my husband has vascular dementia and i have mental health problems as well. . i have clinical depression for a very long time mainly connected with my childhood with the lockdown. do you have a key worker for you or is mental health team involved as that would be the first people id call. they should be there to answer your call. either that or your gp. when we first had lockdown i felt the world was closing in on me so i used to walk to shop and get a paper, but you cant do that with aggrophobia.do you take meds for your mental health? do they need tweaking?i was decreasing mine until lockdown and that had to be put on hold. stay with it. and do something that you like doing to decrease the impact of the mental health. keep posting there are no limits you will be replied to. this forum has helped me so much and i hope it does the same for you

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums @Dizzy Lou. You are not being selfish, you have to stay healthy in mind and body in order to look after your mum. I have my own mental health battles, so I can sympathise with you. As Normaleila and Jennifer 1967 suggested your GP and your local social services would be the people to speak to. You are entitled to a carers assessment and your mum to a care needs assessment where you can ask for the support you need.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect run by the Alzheimer's Society can guide you through what help is available. So, please don't feel guilty and do keep in touch as the members are always happy to help, support and advise as needed.