Hi all please help

Stroke warrior

Oct 5, 2021
I suffered a stroke 2 years ago but have been living in a carehome since, but my wife has just dies whats going to happen to my house? Any insight is very welcome, thanks I mean can I sell the property and buy a new one? What about the care fee lifetime cap?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Condolences on your loss. As you are able to post here articulately it looks as if you can do some administration yourself. You may well need a solicitor and an estate agent. Do you have family who can help with clearing the house? Or help in other ways? I am not sure why you want to buy another house. Of course you could do but it might not be be the best way to spend the sale proceeds.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Stroke warrior
a warm welcome to DTP
sad news; my condolences on the death of your wife

I think you'd be wise to take some professional advice and you might find some using this site

there's been some discussion here about the effect of any new legislation, but if I were you, I'd do what is best for you right now as none of us can be sure it will make any particular difference to current care fees

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
I suffered a stroke 2 years ago but have been living in a carehome since, but my wife has just dies whats going to happen to my house? Any insight is very welcome, thanks I mean can I sell the property and buy a new one? What about the care fee lifetime cap?
Are you in uk?
are you self funding?

the care fee cap doesn’t start until next year and only covers nursing care, not any other care homr costs.

why do you wish to buy new home if living in care home?
do you have any children?

Stroke warrior

Oct 5, 2021

Are you in uk?
are you self funding?

the care fee cap doesn’t start until next year and only covers nursing care, not any other care homr costs.

why do you wish to buy new home if living in care home?
do you have any children?
I want to move out of the carehome with a live in carer. I'm 38 years young but was desperate for some advice thats why I posted here

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm assuming a few things here, but is your plan to sell the marital home and buy somewhere smaller/more suitable for you?

I assume the council was funding you because your wife was living in the marital home so it would be disregarded as an asset. So - a warning: now the situation has changed and there's no one living in the house. It is a large asset which - if you stayed in the CH - you could now sell and you would then become self-funding until the money went down to £23,500. That's the current situation with funding - I believe the new system with a cap doesn't come into force for a while. Whether any care costs you accrue before it starts could be counted retrospectively, I have no idea.

But much depends on the value of your current house. If it's a mansion you could certainly downsize and still have money in the bank. You'd have to use that money for your live-in carer but any nursing element would be paid for and there would be benefits (such as Attendance Allowance) that you could claim that might offset the cost to you somewhat. If your current property is modest and you'll only be left with a small amount (less than £23,500) after buying your new bungalow (or whatever) the LA would have to pay some of your care costs until you get down to about £14,000, then they will pay it all. However.... the LA will generally only fund up to 4 carer visits per day. If a person needs more help they generally insist on a move to a care home as it's cheaper, so you'd be back to square one! If that happened, you'd then have to sell your new bungalow and use the money from that to pay for your own care! It's not good, is it?

So, I think it depends on 1) the value of your current property and 2) how much help you'd need at home. If you'd need 24/7 care it's just not going to work, or at least, not for long.

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021

I want to move out of the carehome with a live in carer. I'm 38 years young but was desperate for some advice thats why I posted here
Hi,
It sounds like you have capacity to make your own decisions. Did you make the choice to live in the care home after hearing advice.
If that is the case then no one has a right to tell you where to live. You can instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf and sell the house, they can also deal with everything else involved in that, but it will come at a cost. If you have a friend/family you can trust they can do the usual stuff according to how you instruct them.
If you are on a DOLS then this is slightly more complicated, but you can speak to your RPR to challenge your authorisation and it can even go to the Court of Protection (only for people who have been deemed to lack capacity for decisions about where they live and what care they need).
Live in Care can be affordable, it can be a similar price to a Care Home, depending on where you are. If you sell and have money left over, as mentioned earlier you will need to self-fund the care.
However if you need funded care then social services are obligated to match the funding they would provide for a care home, you can always top up to make live in care possible.
This is all dependent on you having the power to make your own decisions.
As a young person, 38, you do have a right to live a full and engaged life, one issue about live in care may be the level of care needs you have which will hike up the price, however adaptations in the new home can reduce the problems.
If you are able to do this, go for it, sell and buy a smaller house (2 bed for live in care) pay for all the adaptations you need (you could apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant up to £25,000 as well, it's worth a try). Then if needed any funding will kick in.
I assume you live near Stoke, call or ask a carer to call Stoke Social Services and ask for a re-assessment, it may be worth getting a social worker on board.
If you want info about your rights speak to your local Advocacy service.
ASIST 01782 845584
Good luck with it.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
I assume you live near Stoke, call or ask a carer to call Stoke Social Services and ask for a re-assessment, it may be worth getting a social worker on board.
If you want info about your rights speak to your local Advocacy service.
ASIST 01782 84558
Why assume Stoke?

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Oh no, I read that wrong, Stroke Warrior not Stoke Warrior...
I blame my 1st thing eyes.
My apologies Stroke warrior, forget the last bits about ASIST and their number...

Well, this is really awkward.

I'm just going to shuffle away now...
Lol ?

it is 9am??

(TBH I just thought I‘d missed something…… I usually do)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Stroke warrior, first of all condolences on the loss of your wife.
Whether you can move from the care home and fund live in care depends on quite a few things and we obviously don't have the full picture. It might be a good idea to contact the support line and talk things through with them.
They can be contacted by phone on 0333 150 3456 and by email at dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk