Hi All! I am a new member.

Wkdwitch

May 7, 2014
Brighton
Well, it is has taken me a long time to find a forum where I can chat about my Mum.

She is 87 and was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia 7 years ago. I am her full time carer. Every day is getting harder due to physical ailments as well as dealing with the later stages of dementia and all that entails. Sleeping is a major issue, there is very little and I am getting tired. There is so much I want to say but I am not sure I can find the words right now.

I have spent some time looking around the different threads in the forum and am so very relieved to find many others experiencing similar situations I am. It is hard to talk to others about such things who haven't walked or are walking the same path.

Anyway, I just wanted to say.... Hello. I will try to join in when I can.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Hello and welcome.

I hope you find comfort and advice here.

I am just off to bed but didn't want to go without saying hello.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi there and a warm welcome from me too. You will find a listening ear here any time and we are very non judgmental because we all know what it's like having dementia around. Take care xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Wkdwitch

Welcome to Talking Point.

There is so much I want to say but I am not sure I can find the words right now.

No hurry. You have all the time in the world. :)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi welcome to TP
I hope you find TP as helpful and supportive as I have.

24/7 caring is so very hard, more so when you are sleep deprived.
I hope you have some help. I had a regular lady from Crossroads care who came in to be with mum a few hours a week, so I could have some free time knowing mum was being looked after.

Please feel free to ask questions or have a bit of a rant.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
Very little sleep is not good. Sounds like you need some respite. This is how I cope 2 weeks respite every now & again. My mum had her very first respite in Aug & she's due another 2 weeks end of next week. We are self funding so I just organise it, but sounds like you need it.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Hi, and welcome!

Just wanted to say hello and to let you know that when you come back you'll pretty much be able to ask / talk about anything you want and no one will be shocked, or surprised - but they will understand and advise!

I've looked at many forums - from slimming :eek: to mental health, depression etc and this is by far the most active and most helpful I've ever found

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
wkdwitch and welcome to TP, well you've come to the right place if you need advice or just a shoulder to cry on. We are all in the same boat. So if your in need as we all are, feel free. Take care lindaxx

Wkdwitch

May 7, 2014
Brighton
Thank you all for your welcome!

Although I am finding it hard to express how I feel right now and the situation is very much further down the line, I wrote this 3 years ago (in a blog). It was in response to an article I had read regarding treatment for Dementia. It was the first time I had put into words how I felt, and that I was grieving. I still am...

'Many of us have a member of our family or a friend that has been diagnosed with Dementia and experienced first hand what a completely devastating illness it is. My Mother was diagnosed five years ago with Vascular Dementia which has snowballed as the years have gone by.

I am immediately drawn to articles like this, initially with a hesitant and naïve hope that there has been a break through cure, available immediately, which would bring my Mum back to me. IAs it stands there is no treatment or cure. But I also look, more realistically, for effective prevention that could possibly be available in the not too distant future.

My Mother has no idea that she is ill. She doesn't know that she has forgotten every single cherished memory of her own life, memories of people that were very special and important to her but already gone, and even more tragically, those that are still here.

A couple of years after she was diagnosed I was trying to explain why she had to go for a Doctors appointment, always being honest with each other, I said they need to keep an eye on how your Dementia is progressing or words to that effect. Dementia, a word that had been bandied around by doctors and family in front of Mum on several occasions but never seemed to click. I wasn't expecting a sudden outburst. With a moment of clarity and a fierceness I have never witnessed in my Mum before, she swung round and with such steely certainty in her voice said " I don't have Dementia, there is nothing wrong with me, that is a terrible, terrible, illness, if I thought I had that I would commit suicide!".

I have never mentioned the word in front of her again.

I know for certain that if my Mother had ever had an inkling that one day she would forget who I was, this wonderful Mum who has been there for me every day of my life no matter what mess I managed to get myself into, anywhere. That she would not know her Grandsons she absolutely adored and adored her. That she would not be able to take in or understand their achievements that she would have been so proud of. Who see her now in a way that would break her heart. Not to be able to enjoy any aspect of her life that gave her pleasure. To feel, lost, alone, and frightened every time she wakes up not knowing who or where she is. Not to be able to hold a thought for more than a few seconds (she was great thinker). She would definitely not have wanted to carry on.

And knowing what I know about this illness now, neither would I.

Everyday I speak to her, and even though I have to remind her who I am, she never, with out fail, forgets to ask me if I am happy, if I need anything. And every single day I lie to her because she wouldn’t understand and for those few minutes she would worry. So I tell her everything is wonderful. But I am not happy, I got myself in a mess again, and at this ripe old age I need my Mum. But she’s not here. Not the strong, capable, resilient, funny, feisty Mum I knew, who could find a solution to any problem " There is always a way, you just have to work out what it is").

One particular saying my Mum drummed into me, that I have repeated to myself many times over since I was about 4 years old and had fallen into a duck pond was, 'If you get yourself in a mess, get yourself out of it.'

“Well, I’m trying Mum, but it’s so much harder without you”.

So I do have an inkling you see and it scares me. It is a vile, hateful, cruel disease, that robs a person of every precious and treasured detail of their lives. Slowly. And because it is slow you deny for as long as you can that they are leaving you. But every trait that defines who they are, wisps away gradually, like smoke from a smouldering fire in a gentle breeze, until the last frail traces finally evaporate.

For those who witness it first hand, it hurts, terribly. The pain doesn't evaporate, it doesn't smoulder and burn out, it builds. Slowly. And while she is still here in body, it lingers, there is no release. A cruel illness indeed.

A pain I never want my sons to have to endure.

And what hurts more than anything, more than anything at all, is I never got to say Good Bye to her, she has just slipped away.'

Last edited:

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
Wkdwitch, your post has moved me to tears.

I have tried to explain to my colleagues how this vile disease makes me feel, how it affects my beautiful Mum, and when it has finished its cruel path, having robbed us of precious time together in Mum's twilight years, having robbed her of all of her dreams and plans, as well as her memories......it takes dignity.

My Mum is still with us, and is relatively good currently, although when she starts to chatter away the realisation of how she is deteriorating hits home, but she is forever and ever in my thoughts, my heart, and I dread the day I have to say goodbye again.

Thank you for sharing such beautiful and personal sentiments
x

annolaf

Feb 18, 2014
Proudly Stubborn and I am at my wits end

Hi I too am new here. My Dad Past away on Mothers day last year. It was the longest 8 wks of my life there to advocate for Dad while trying to keep Mom under control. It became very apparent that my Mother has been hiding her Dementia for quite some time. They lived on there own in a 3bdrm home and were quite a tag team . What Mom forgot Dad was able to cover and Mom did the same for Dad.
I try as hard as I can to help her out without taking away any independence she does have. She feels she can do this on her own. But is unable to dial a phone # unless it is one I have pre-programed. So I tend to make appt. for her and have the person on the other end call her to confirm. She insists she had 5 children and they will all be there to help her when she needs them. We are not the Walton's. I live 5 hrs travel away from her and worry a lot. I tend to read between the lines when I call and try to help her out but when I do she goes on a rant . I WILL NOT!!! live in one of those seniors homes . She tells me Dementia is a Dirty word and do not use it. She insists she will sell her house and move into another 3 brm home near family . NOt possible she could not afford that. Of course it is my fault as I am keeping her from her family.
In one breath she tells me to leave her alone and in another she wants to know when I am coming. I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride and I want off.
I hate having to help her and go behind her back to make sure she is okay. She insists I have taken away her independence by doing all her banking . She says all she does now in sit in a chair and watch t.v. I have suggested she get involved with other seniors and she tells me she needs NO ONE. She has Geriatic Mental health involved now and a Dr. will be coming soon to formally assess her. She is on a new med now and will not take them she says they keep her awake. I called the pharmacy and she can take it in the morning but she insists she will do this on her own. Just leave me alone I can do this myself. Boy this is hard. Sorry for the babble I go to a support group once a month but sometimes I just need to vent. Thank you

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Well, it is has taken me a long time to find a forum where I can chat about my Mum.

She is 87 and was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia 7 years ago. I am her full time carer. Every day is getting harder due to physical ailments as well as dealing with the later stages of dementia and all that entails. Sleeping is a major issue, there is very little and I am getting tired. There is so much I want to say but I am not sure I can find the words right now.

I have spent some time looking around the different threads in the forum and am so very relieved to find many others experiencing similar situations I am. It is hard to talk to others about such things who haven't walked or are walking the same path.

Hi, just wanted to welcome you to TP. I am a relative newcomer and all what you mention in your post, I feel the same. I agree when you say there is so much you want to say but cannot find the words. I do spend a lot of the time reading other posts and get comfort from reading all what TP's are saying, even though I don't always post. You can get some useful advice here, from others who are in similar situations.
Keep posting.

anne-marie

Aug 18, 2012
Staffordshire

Hi
I have been registered on this site for a while but rarely posted and to be honest I think that I was busy adjusting to the changes in my life - having to give up my job to be sole carer to my mum. Sometimes I feel I have adjusted well and others .......... well, that is when this site come in. We are all joined here by a common bond so vent away and we'll all hold hands on this difficult journey. x