Hi Again

JMW

Jun 14, 2007
Thank you everyone for your kind messages after my first post. Mum has been getting around a bit more recently but its frustrating as whilst that is good i keep getting phone calls saying she has fallen as she is unsteady on her feet. Can't win as when she is not so mobile it makes me feel so sad. I know there's not a lot i can do but am frightened that she will really hurt herself or worse break something, but what can i do? That's not really a question just thinking out loud! Such a terrible disease and with so many different angles to look at it's never ending as i;m sure you will all agree.

JMW

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi JMW,

Sorry your mum keeps falling. At least she is in a NH and not at home by herself, so you know she`s being cared for.

I`m afraid this is what will continue to happen as long as she`s mobile but unsteady. Does she have a Zimmer Frame, or is her co-ordination too poor to manage one?

It`s very worrying for you. At least you can air your concerns here. Even though no-one can make it better for your mum, we do understand how it is for you.

Take care
Love xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
It really is isn't? I don't know about you but I find that just as you get used to a certain level of symptoms something else comes along and throws you for six.

I take it your mum's still quite young like mine? At first it never occured to me that the fact that my mum is still physically healthy and mobile would be a problem but boy was I wrong!!

JMW

Jun 14, 2007
Thank you both. No she is too unsteady for a zimmer frame unfortunately. She really can't get around very well but when she feels better she just gets out of the chair and starts to walk but i think she forgets and that's also why she falls. I do think very often that she is well cared for and that's all i could ask for.

JMW

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I'm so sorry to hear about this with your mum. As you say there really isn't an answer. It may be that the will want to secure her to the chair - I know some wheel chairs have that padded bar over the hip area - it's a horrible thought and I suppose if this happens you and your family would have to decide if you'd prefer her restricted and safe, or having the freedom to stand with the risk of falling. It's an awful decision. Thinking of you
A

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hello,
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, is there anything the NH can put into place to make movement a little safer for her?
Jackie

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read about your mother falling .

Just like to add that is what my mother does

She really can't get around very well but when she feels better she just gets out of the chair and starts to walk but i think she forgets and that's also why she falls

your right they
but i think she forgets and that's also why she falls

I have seen my mother do that so many time , Just gets up forget Zimmer frame or its not near her she thinks she OK get up walk , if I am not around she more likely to fall and my mother live with me . Its Just horrible feeling living with that fear that she going to fall and really hurt herself one day if I busy doing something & they nothing I can do to prevent it , unless I had eyes in the back of my head , hope that does not sound rude. she so unsteady on her feet . she can't help it I know she just forgets, gets an energy bust & get up to fast .

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts