Hi-advice needed

SALMONJANE

Aug 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm new to TP and new to Alzheimer's, my dad was diagnosed about a month ago and I'm just looking for any advice out there, the doctor kind of gave him a diagnosis and some tablets and left us to it. I don't know what we should or shouldn't be doing or how to help him, what to expect in the future, what help is out there, just anything really!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Jane xx

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Hi Jane

Welcome to TP. You'll find lots of information, advice and support here. It is a wonderful place full of generous people.

I'm sure others will contribute soon

When my mum was diagnosed a few years back I think I spent a zillion hours on the internet just reading up on Alzheimer's. That both informed me (as I knew nothing) and scared me a little - but worth doing a bit of it if you are a detail person

Then I contacted my local alzhieimer's society who came and visited my mum and me, talked through the illness, gave me lots of advice and sign posting on to other info. I found that really helpful. Could you do that as a start?

I'm sorry the doctor was so rubbish. They could have at least given you some information.
Does your dad live alone? How does he cope now?

It is a tough illness as you'll see from TP posts. Both for the person with Alzheimer's and for their carer. The difficulty is that it is hard to say what symptoms a person will have and when. so things may stay as they are for a while, there may be a decline, then another steady period.

There are lots and lots of challenges but some good times too (my mum developed a sense of humour since her Alzheimer's).

It is lovely that your dad has you to look out for him.

Good luck and keep posting

SALMONJANE

Aug 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your reply. My dad lives alone although our family business is based at his house and he and my mum are still very close. I live nearby but as I have 2 young children the noise and chaos that comes with them irritates my dad and so my visits are short!! I will contact my local Alzheimer's centre and see if they can give me some advice, the doctor was helpful but didn't really tell us what we should be doing to help and gave us more of a best case scenario which left us quite positive and then we have since heard a few horror stories which has worried us. I think my dad has gone worse since his diagnosis and since starting his medication and my mum agrees. Hopefully I will get some answers from my local centre and will keep posting!! Thank you again. Xx

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Hi Jane

I hope you get the help you're looking for, it seems to be a common theme that people are just told and deserted.

What was your dad put on? Was it Aricept? Do you have a follow up appointment? The best bit of advice I've been given is to just deal with things as they arise. To pre-empt everything is both exhausting and often a waste of time.

Does your dad have a Lasting Power of Attorney set up? I think that is extremely important and I'm so glad I did it as mum's now struggling with her banking etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chook
xx