Hi! A intro

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Lulu :confused:

Dad has alway's had headache's.Some day's worse than others. Was wondering if now he is in the late stage's is there any drug he shouldn't be taking any more.He hasn't been seen AD doc since last march.When his head is bad his balance is awful.Mom has taken him to his Gp about it but he said it's part of the disease.Saw dad today 'bless him' having a bad day. :(

Janet

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
hello Janet. Thanks for telling me that, it's very interesting. Mum's headaches go on and on -she puts it down to having a head cold. She must feel as though she has cold symptoms all the time or else she wouldn't mention it, though it does tend to get worse whilst under stress, or if she wants to wriggle out of something.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Taking on the parental role

I have explained to my mother again and again that she is my mother and not vice versa, mostly she remembers this, but her last telephone message was "Please may I speak to Mummy?"

She doesn't call my brother Daddy, and laughed at the thought when I commented on that.

Lila

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I have explained to my mother again and again that she is my mother and not vice versa
Hello Lila, while it doesn't hurt to repeat things over and over, the nature of dementia is that you should not expect her to remember pretty much anything you say.

I know it can be infuriating, but do be aware that it is the dementia causing your frustration, not your mother.

She is not trying to be difficult, or to rile you, she has entered a foggy tunnel. From now on, you need to try to enter her world, don't expect her to even put a foot in the door of yours.

It is awful, but there is not a lot anyone can do about it.

She looks at you and her brain mistakenly tells her that you are her mother; there's no reasoning with a brain that is driven by dementia, I'm afraid.

We all have gone, or will go through the stage you are at; it is dreadful. Just try to take things slowly, day by day, and let out your rage and pain when you have left her, otherwise you will simply confuse her more.

Best wishes.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Of course everyone says don't attempt to reason with her, but she has made so much progress as a result of my reasoning with her, so I'm not giving up yet.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. I am still at the stage of not giving up ...

Lila

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Introduction

I am wondering where to start with an introduction.

My mother is 82, had been going downhill gradually over the last 6 years since my father's death, getting more forgetful and eccentric but nothing extreme, associates her deteriorating mental state with flea poison (peripheral neuropathy), has had lots of medical tests showing nothing physically wrong.

Her recent illness seems to have started with a row with my sister-in-law and niece, and my brother naturally took sides with his wife and daughter and accused her of being paranoid and threatened to put her in a Home. She was weepy about this, and I reassured her that no-one could just put her anywhere, it required her consent, she certainly wasn't then in the state in which people are put in homes without their consent. It worried me that she refused to speak to her extended family about any of this.

Until the 21st October, only 4 months ago, she was emailing me several times a day, and her emails seemed rational enough to me. (I'm still missing them.)

I went to stay with her for 3 days (my usual visits were only for 1 night at a time) to see what it was she couldn't do and why my brother thought she should go in a Home. Mostly she seemed reasonable, just very tired and irritable. She had a shower and dressed herself every morning, could make tea and do simple cooking. At that time she had a home help and a gardener from Age Concern, I didn't see either of them, not being there on their days. I knew there had been quite a high turnover of home helps, but couldn't know whether that was her fault or theirs.

I knew she was not well, though not what was wrong, and she refused to phone the doctor or any of her family, some of whom have relevant professional experience as well as having known her for so many years.

I was just about to leave and she had just settled down for a rest when my brother arrived without warning and started hassling and hassling her to go in a Home.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sounds like maybe your mum is scared, believing what your brother is telling her & if she was paranoid she could have got confused & thought you where in it & the rest of the family .

It’s a shame your brother is reacting towards your mother like he is ,as its scaring her from getting proper deionised as in your other post you said she is doing her homework before she see the doctor.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Introduction (continued)

Yes, that was just the beginning of the introduction as it is so difficult to know where to start and how much to tell.

Later that same day she was admitted to hospital suffering from cystitis and malnutrition, and I had the local policeman and his wife accusing me of leaving my mother dying of starvation with no food in the house. (1) She wasn't dying. (2) There was loads of food in the house, much of it brought by my brother and myself. (3) Only a few days before she'd been boasting to other neighbours about being self-sufficient because she could order groceries on the Internet.

During the first part of her 25 days in hospital I attributed her fairly wild mental state to delirium (she was clearly feverish) and malnutrition/dehydration. As she improved physically she became cooler and calmer yet a lot of what she was saying still seemed nonsensical, and she could say one thing to one person and another to another, convincing each that she was telling the truth. E.g. she could tell one social worker that she wanted to go in a home and another that she definitely did not want to go in a home.

My brother wanted her to go into a home straight from the hospital, I wanted to get her home to her own house and rehabilitate her in familiar surroundings and with people she already knew, which was in fact what happened.

Meanwhile hospital staff were confusing us all with their various versions, e.g. the OT on one ward saying there'd be an intermediate care team to help at home for the first 6 weeks, which didn't happen.

My mother hardly knew where she was when she first got home. Every morning began with "Where am I?" "Where do you think you are?" "Now, let me see, let me guess. Let me see if I can guess where I am." This turned into a ritual joke, when she had gradually grasped that she was in her own home where she'd lived for 52 years.

The first 5 weeks were very hard for me physically, as she had regressed into a baby/toddler phase, and was determined to be as difficult as possible.

I got the doctor because of her refusing to eat or drink, and he stopped all the medication of which I was sure she was taking too much. He sent the nurses along, and they contacted Social Services. My brother cancelled Social Services because he thought it was better to hire someone useless from a private agency.
In the end he got onto Social Services himself because she hit him.

She was improving in spite of occasional lapses, and I was impressed by all the little milestones, e.g. the first time she let me wash and dress her, the first time we went out for a walk and visited neighbours, the first time she made a cup of tea for herself without any prompting or assistance, the first time she noticed with pleasure the birds in the garden eating the remains of her meals on wheels.

The Social Worker arranged 3 carer visits a day, and gradually my mother got used to letting the carers in and allowing them to do things for her. (2 months later she still needs reminding what to tell them to do.)

She makes up silly stories about people e.g. she tells everyone about a set of triplets living in the house opposite hers. There are 4 children in that family, all of different sizes and ages, and before she was ill she knew exactly how old they all were. When a friend whom we have known for 40 years came to visit she thought she was Dorothy Wordsworth. She was pleased but not surprised that Dorothy Wordsworth came to tea. Perhaps for some people such fantasies are normal, they wouldn't have been normal for my mother before her illness.

She had a whole day assessment at the hospital and again managed to convince doctors that there is nothing wrong with her, it's just "old age". Well, I have known quite a few elderly people her age and older, including those of her own family we helped to look after, they don't all behave the way she's been behaving.
The doctors said she does not require full-time attendance and can make whatever arrangements she likes with Social Services, and that if she wants to go out for walks late at night inadequately dressed that's up to her. (Of course neighbours and relatives blamed me for letting her go out in her nightclothes or after dark, but as she can get violent if she doesn't have her own way I don't know how I could stop her.)

So I gradually spent more time in my own home, until now my plan for the time being is only to go back fortnightly to order her food and stock up her kitchen.

She phones me several times a day and we go through her boring daily routine, mostly about what she has eaten or is going to eat. Sometimes it is difficult to guess what she means, e.g. when she tells me she is going to eat an egg on toast with a carpet-beater. A whisk, I suggest? Scrambled eggs? I still don't know what the carpet-beater was, in this context.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Headaches

I think one reason why my mother gets headaches is that she spends too much time in bed, and another is her room is so hot and stuffy.

But that's her choice.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
For now my mother is coping (mostly alone)

My mother is managing much better than we'd expected on her own. The main thing she needs me for is to go through her daily routine on the phone. And to praise her! E.g. when she tells me every morning she's had her breakfast and a cup of tea and got washed and dressed, she wants the reward of praise, though it's the carer who has done most of the work.

I don't know if she'd forget to eat again if I didn't ask what did you have for dinner? what are you going to have for supper?

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Repeating things over and over

My mother likes repeating things herself and getting others to do it, creating rituals, and making a security blanket out of them as toddlers do. "Good night, sleep tight, mind the bedbugs don't bite." "See you later alligator, in a while crocodile" "I've had my supper and had my supper and had my supper and all" and so many more that have been resuscitated from early childhood. That may be one reason why she reverts to calling me Mummy, it provokes the predictable response "I'm not your Mummy, you're my Mummy" ...

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It sounds like your doing a good job, in trying to help your mum. Don’t listen to your mums neighbours you know that you’re doing the right thing & that is what counts.

There not living in it. I was like you when you said

Of course everyone says don't attempt to reason with her, but she has made so much progress as a result of my reasoning with her, so I'm not giving up yet.

Just make sure you take time out for yourself ,not saying I have given up ,but 3 years later have accepted it

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, I'm trying to take time out for myself, but it's difficult to think about anything else at the moment.

The neighbours impinge rather as they are the people she goes to when she wants to complain about me.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Ok so tell them to move in with your mum, as they care so much, when they **** you of lol

Your got to laugh as it will drive you mad ,as it does take over your thoughts all the time I completely understand ,what helps me is listening to music , as you wait for the next phone call ,its wired what are mums say on the phone like living in the twilight zone & reading you post above did bring up a lot of emotion from my past as your story in what your mother is doing now ,sounded so familiar to mine ,but it ok I can step back & all we can do is offer support in sharing our storeys & we our not alone anymore we have found this great site .

The USA have another site like this have you been there ? just that its great geting lots of others points of view .

My daughter wants to go on line now so shall be back later , do you have a husband or children ?

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
The neighbours obviously think I should move in with my mother, but she won't even let me leave one set of clothes in her house, how long do they expect me to stay there without changing clothes?

No, I don't have a husband or children, so of course I am "available".

As far as I am concerned the sooner we can move my mother to somewhere near me the better. She will still need carers, whether from SS or private. But I need to check up on her more often than is possible at present, and see what she really is eating.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
In theory, my mother and I could both move to live nearer together. Near enough for me to pop in every day, and for her to have carers, whether from Social Services or private, for however much time is necessary.

I'd need a lockable door! And basic predictable rules about "time off" from each other.

If only she and my brother would agree.

Lila

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Newly Diagnosed

Hi Elaine

So nice to have you along. I have a few thoughts that you may find useful.

My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers six years ago and was prescribed aricept immediately and I am convinced that it is responsible for six good years and it is only now that times are becoming very difficult. Don't put up with being on a waiting list, insist now is the appropriate time to start medication. Thump the table, stamp your feet, be a pain and insist on instant action. If you delay and NICE get there way your dad may not get medication but if he is on it when the decision is made he will be allowed to continue.

I am a great believer in sufferers being encouraged to be as independant as possible, it will be gradually eroded in any case. Mary loves walking and for the first four years walked on her own and came to no harm.

Remember that caring means fighting like a dog for your loved one so don't be afraid of upsetting officialdom

Hugs

Dick

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother's had another fall, not seriously injured, but as she has been taken to A & E I am afraid it will be used as an excuse to erode her independence still further.

It is sad that her A & E is so far from where she lives. Life-endangering for some, as her local doctors all pointed out when it was done. And more difficult to visit.

Lila

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba