He's behind you

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The traffic was heavy going on the way to my wife's care home so the pantomime was just underway when I got there. Fifteen residents were packed into the residents' lounge together with several staff dressed in festive tee shirts. I couldn’t get near my wife to wake her up with my cold hands but she did come round for a while, seemed to enjoy some of the panto, then fell asleep again.

There were just 2 young ladies taking all of the main roles – Oliver, Fagin, the Artful Dodger and Nancy - plenty of songs and a few “oh no he isn’t” type moments. Bill Sykes was just a voice and a gunshot over the speakers. To her delight, Mrs Bumble was played by one of the residents, complete with blue wig. After the panto the 2 ladies led a sing song, a mix of carols and other Christmas songs. My wife was awake by then and joined in with the singing, which she enjoyed. She was in a good mood afterwards too and it seems that the staff have noticed that she is more settled and less aggressive since her medication was altered.

It was only at home later that I remembered that it was our 20th wedding anniversary. Once we would have celebrated with a special meal or a weekend break. In our current circumstances, sharing the obvious joy of my wife and her fellow residents seemed a good way of celebrating our 40 years together.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad the panto went well. It sounds like the staff worked hard for the residents.

Times change and these anniversaries are hard. I’m glad you felt today was a good way of celebrating your time together.

it would have been 41 years for us on 29th Dec but we only made it to almost 38 when Bill died. Happy memories and I’m glad I have these now.

Belated best wishes to you both.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in March, and it meant nothing to my husband. At least that was what I thought at the time. Then this week I heard him tell someone, quite proudly, that we had been married 50 years. So it must have registered somewhere.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in March, and it meant nothing to my husband. At least that was what I thought at the time. Then this week I heard him tell someone, quite proudly, that we had been married 50 years. So it must have registered somewhere.

Brilliant. :)

AliceA

May 27, 2016
These posts remind of the words in a song, you can't take that away from me.
I feel I am the keeper for the memories, whilst I hold these they remain real for us both whether he remembers or not. Bittersweet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968