herediatary??

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Having nursed my nan and now my mum through this awful illness, I wonder whats in store for me!
Is there an hereditary gene? My mums CPN seems to think there may be a link, but just advised me to take Folic Acid as a supplement.
Its a terrifying thought to think that I may end up with AD!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Allylee,

You may find the following factsheet useful.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/Risk_factors/info_amIatrisk.htm

If you can swallow a chunk of Genetic facts, try http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=alzheimerdisease#inheritance

"Most cases of late-onset (type 2) Alzheimer disease occur in people with no history of the disorder in their family."

My personal understanding is that the genetic link is still unproven. It is definitely not worth worrying about in my opinion.

For a specific reference to Folic Acid, try:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Mind_your_head/Common_questions/Medicines_and_supplements/index.htm

and the Mind your Head factsheet at
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Mind_your_head/PDF/Mind your head info sheet.pdf

I remember reading this factsheet some time ago. It just made me think that dad couldn't have done more to prevent this illness - however the factsheet contains a lot of common sense on a healthy lifestyle which will help prevent a variety of ailments.

Kind Regards
Craig

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Allylee, I am in a similar boat. My advice is, don't torture yourself about it, what will be will be. I have made all my affairs easy for my family to do if IT happens, other than that, just get on with your life, why waste it on maybes! Lotsaluv and a big hug my love, She. XX :)

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Allylee,
Like you, my Gran had dimentia although it wasn't called AD then but hardening of the arteries. And now my Mom. It scares me too. I talked to Mom's neurologist about it being hereditary and he told me there is no evidence that is passes down that way. He said it is genetic though. Early onset Alzheimers is differenet and does tend to run in families, according to the doc. I plan on getting long term care insurance so if I get that or anything else dibiliatating, I can get care without wrecking my estate or depending on my only child. (Besides, she lives in Dallas and it is too hot there!)
Be prepared and like She says, live your life. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Debbie

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Thanx folks (again!), It does worry me to be honest I think Id rather contract any illness than AD.My son , whos 11, has experienced the frustrations and difficulities first hand of a family who have to cope with a realtive with AD. Ive talked to him about the possibilities of my ending up with the condition. No qualms whatsover, hed put me in a home !!
happy days!!
Love to you all Ally xx

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Ally,

I think that Sheila's advice is very pertinent - keep your affairs simple.

One of the conversations that I particularly remember with my dad was about the future - to this day it echoes around me. He said "The best advice I can give you is to keep healthy son, that way it's less likely that you'll be a burden to anyone". He's never been a burden, just a good friend that needs looking after through no fault of his own. However, looking back, what we should have discussed at that pertinent time was how to consolidate and simplify his practical and financial affairs.

After dealing with dads for that last two years, I've simplified mine incredibly.

Most of all don't worry and try and enjoy life. Alzheimer's for all its pain and confusion has taught me to enjoy the moment and to give whenever you can.

Charlie.....

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Charlie
I know of no evidence that there is a genitic link with AD.
My Maternal Grandmother was diagnosed Senile Dementia,looking back I am sure it was AD.
But all those years back no one had heard of AD.
I think everyone should put their affairs in order for the benifit of who comes after.
We did with a financial advisor,one person to contact and all is with him
Norman

Nel

Mar 24, 2004
warrington
Herediatary

Hi All

My Grandfather was diagnosed with 'Senile Dementia' when I was 12 and my memories of it are not so good. Dad has been diagnosed for 5 years now with AD and my darling aunt (dad's younger sister) has recently passed away after suffering Lewy Bodies for 2 years. I have never seen anyone decline so quickly, the change was heartbreaking. My brother and I both worry what's in store for us and we have both been advised to take folic acid, to keep fit and healthy and keep cholestorel levels low.

As a family it does strike us that we may be prone to the disease but there is no way of telling. The upshot is every time you have a lapse of memory, or even whilst typing this the words go back to front sometimes, I wonder..............

No two ways about it, I've told my two boys to put me in a care home and enjoy their lives to the full!! I have not posted nything for a long time due to other events in my life but have recently come back on line. Dad has sort of been on a plateau for quite some time but the last few weeks has turned agitated and violent, even started stripping off again which has upset me alot. I can only think that he's 'dipped' again to the next level (how many are there?) and I wonder just how much longer this will go on and how bad is it going to get as I am told he is in the latter stages although he is fully mobile but incoherent. Waiting for the medical people to review meds and give him something to calm him but hopefully not 'zombify' him. Sometimes it gets all too much to cope with. So what do we have to look forward too, not alot if this disease grips us. But in the meantime, live life to the full.

Love to all out there
Nel

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Nel, nice to see you posting again. Sorry to hear of your Dads problems. I like your philosophy on life though! Keep posting when you can please, love She. XX

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Nel, how I agree with you! Im probably physically fitter now than ever in my life (im 42), will keep taking the folic acid, a nice glass of red wine at night, and hope for the best.
Like you, I dip in and out of the website, but of late there has been quite a deterioration in mum, following a fall. It helps now to log on everyday, not always to post, but just to read everyones comments, I take great comfort from it.
Ive had a difficult relationship all my life with my mum, so its quite hard to find myself in this position now. I appreciate however, as a result of chatting to people on here, that many others are in exactly the same situation, and I try hard not to beat myself up about it.
This website is a real lifeline, a good friend, a weepy movie, and a pair of comfy slippers! Id be so lost without it!
LOve to you all Ally xx

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Pair of comfy slippers

Dear Allylee.
I loved the last line of your post it describes this site very well and that is how i feel as well. I am caring for my husband on my own with two days at centre which is a life line.
Cynron x x :)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The Daily Mail in the UK frequently links almost anything either as a cause, or as a contribution towards a cure, for dementia.

;)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sue,

Thanks for those links. I had read something previously about certain spices possibly reducing the risks of AD, so it was good to get more specifics.

The Alzheimer's Society's research news pages also mentions this topic :

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Research/Research_in_the_news/040420curcumin.htm

When certain substances are touted in the media for halping to reduce the risk of dementia, I always look on the Society's Research News page to see what the more balanced view is. The News page at the American Alzheimer's Assoc. is also a reliable source of "vetted" news: http://www.alz.org/News/overview.asp

Tumeric is also mentioned in the Mind Your Head pages:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Mind_your_head/Common_questions/Lifestyle/diet/curcumin.htm

The last sentence on that page is :

It’s too soon to say that curcumin, or drugs based on it, could be potential preventive treatments for Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia, but meanwhile, if you like spicy food, enjoy it.

Which seems like a nice, common sense way of looking at the issue.

Take care,

Sandy