Here we go again!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum is off to respite today, and she has started with the 'you're wanting to get rid of me', 'that's being nasty', or words along those lines, it doesn't matter that she knows I won't put her in a home (may have threatened it, but I won't). Anyway, to cut a long story short I had a brainwave, I asked mum if I made a calendar with the days she is away circled, and the last day has 'home' written under it, the staff cross the days off when she goes to bed, would that help her see how many days she was away and when she comes home? I made up a quick mock calendar and explained it to mum, she was delighted and thought it was great. So fingers crossed the staff cross the days off and mum remembers what its for!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well done. Thank goodness for brainwaves !! I have them occassionally. But not as often as I would like though.

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
I hope it works for you - let us know because I have to find respite care home for my dad for a week at end of May so may use your clever method because he too dreads going into one permanently.....

Trisha

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Just back from dropping mum off, she was asking all the way there 'where are we going', 'oh I didn't know that', 'how long am I going for'... anyway, I just calmly told her she is away for 'x' amount of days and remember I made a calendar with the dates on, she said 'oh yes'.
The calendar was put up on the wall where mum could see it, and the staff will mark off the days, she asked a few times how long she was saying I just told her to look at the calendar which she did, so she seems to be happy.
So it seems to be working!

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
Hope you can enjoy the time to yourself, hoping your exams go really well, thinking of you.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks, i'm not doing anything tonight so will start on revising tomorrow... I must admit i'm feeling a bit lost without mum being in the house, but its not for too long :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
That is indeed a brainwave-and I'm going to hi-jack it to use for Pete who will be in respite soon for three days.

Thank you so much

Love Lyn T

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
No probs, maybe I should patent the idea (joking).
Had a nice long lie until 8.30am, but was still 'listening' for mum even though she isn't here at the moment. I called to see how mum was, she is fine, one less thing to worry about.
Think I might go and have a lie down as I have another migraine, think its just from the stress of the past few days!

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
I have another migraine, think its just from the stress of the past few days!

Isn't it funny, how when the "stress" in our lives is relieved, we can often become ill. When Dad went into respite, hubby & I not only slept a lot, but felt as if we had flu for a couple of days. It just shows you stress has a long term effect on our bodies.
Hope you fell better today - at least the sun's out, so you can perhaps revise while tanning!! :) Keep well.