Here we go again

Claire

Mar 31, 2004
Coventry
Hi All

Just a note to say Mum has broken her hip, and in hospital, having an operation this morning. So, once again the nightmare of the general ward. She is in a different hospital to the one she was in last time, one which has a traditional ward design, and which I have always found to be preferable. But I still expect the usual lack of understanding of the needs of patients with dementia. My brother and I will make sure she eats at least one meal a day, and gets some fluids, but I'm still expecting to see meals "refused" on her notes, and unopened boxed drinks on her trolley. My stress levels are way up already - serves me right for feeling so relaxed lately!

Claire

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Claire, hope all goes well, please let us know how she is after the op wont you. Thinking of you all, love She. XX

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Dear Claire

I understand your worries.

Mum had an overnight stay in hospital this year and although there were only 6 beds in her section, not one of the doctors or nurses seemed to have the slightest understanding of how she needed to be treated and it was left to a fellow patient to alert them several times in the night that Mum was distressed and needed reassurance.

That patient was a carer for her own Mum who has AD and I will be eternally grateful that she was there or goodness knows what would have happened when Mum needed help.

What made me very cross was that she was admitted at 2pm and it wasn't until gone 8pm when I asked for her tablets that were overdue and was told the pharmacy was closed, so she couldn't have them. I drove to fetch her own tablets, which they were not allowed to give her. Amidst much muttering from the nurses, I gave them to her myself, as without them she gets very agitated and anxious. My sister left her night shift early to drive in and give her the medication in the morning.

The medical care was good, but somehow the emotional support AD sufferers need is just not understood.

I hope Mum never needs to be admitted again, if she does we will make sure one of us is with her 24/7 as that seems to be the only way to be sure she would cope.

I sincerely hope your Mum has a speedy recovery and is back home as soon as possible.

Kathleen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Kathleen
some time back now my wife was admitted after suffering a TIA.
No one told me anything until the next morning when I went to fetch her home.
They informed me that she had been up and dressed 5 times in the night and did I know she had dementia?
I had told the duty sister and left an Aricept tablet!!
I would not leave her alone again in a general hospital
Norman