Here it comes

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hiya folks,

Scary morning. Just started today: Hubby gets up and asks me "Where are we?"

Oh God, I'm scared, now. Guess this is Alzheimer's kicking into top gear?

Wishing you all a safe day, xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello chuggalug my husband says that every morning when he wakes up
After a while he knows he is at home, it is a scary thing, hope its not too hot today it makes my husband worse when it is so hot take care

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thanks so much, pamann. This is new for me, although I know it's part of what happens. Who needs scary movies? I'm chilled to the bone emotionally, right now!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I remember the sense of disbelief the first time Mil asked me where she was - we have lived in this house for 19 years, and she had stayed here on many, many occasions prior to her moving in. She was convinced, the first time, that we had sprinted her away to Ireland, overnight, and we were staying in a hotel because 'I don't know this place at all' :(

It happens nearly every morning now, though mostly, she is able to orient herself fairly quickly - and its horrible to say that as long as she isn't unduly upset, or I can reassure her fairly easily, then its just yet another one of those horrible issues that I now accept :(

Feel for you, though - the first time is an emotional kick in the guts xxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I remember the sense of disbelief the first time Mil asked me where she was - we have lived in this house for 19 years, and she had stayed here on many, many occasions prior to her moving in. She was convinced, the first time, that we had sprinted her away to Ireland, overnight, and we were staying in a hotel because 'I don't know this place at all' :(

It happens nearly every morning now, though mostly, she is able to orient herself fairly quickly - and its horrible to say that as long as she isn't unduly upset, or I can reassure her fairly easily, then its just yet another one of those horrible issues that I now accept :(

Feel for you, though - the first time is an emotional kick in the guts xxxx

Yes it is, Ann Mac. Or more like a smack between the eyes. :( I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now! He still drinks tea like an addict, so his liquid levels are good. I've informed the surgery and someone is coming out to us in a few hours. It's more than I could have expected and I'm thankful.

Got a pile of shopping to do as well, Nyaaa! ;) Get to that after the doctor comes...

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
We have lived in our house all of our married life and four years ago he lost me and his home. How can you forget the house a you have lived in for 44 years and someone you have known for even longer? It is very hard to accept and though I am now used to the situation, I sometimes crack a little.

Jay

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have lived through the same scenario, and the first time is scary.

Sadly it all becomes the " norm" but as someone else said as long as the caree is not upset about it too much then you just go along with it and accept it.

colincampsite

Jun 4, 2011
Darlington
Fancy

I thought this was my own problem. Didn't know I shared it with others. It is the same every morning plus, "Are we going to Germany today?" or some such. You see we left the UK 14 years ago to deal with this thing on our own and, although we have a constant base, we have travelled in our campervan for several months every year. All European countries plus Marocco. So I naturally thought it was my fault. Now I know it happens to others as well, I don't feel so bad about it and won't worry so much.
I hope this helps others to accept it. It helped me.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi everyone. Bit exhausted tonight. Heavy day so flagging a bit but I came here to read everything and to thank you all and wish you all a safe night. If you don't mind, I'll respond to everyone properly tomorrow.

It's so hot again, phew! Snuggly night in with a beer or two and a film/some music.

All is well, thanks again for your responses :) xx