Helping us all

Wozzie

Jul 12, 2016
Cheshire
Mum has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's
We've muddled along as best we could for some time but have now decided mum needs a personal care assistant
Can someone suggest the best way to introduce this lady to her ?
Many thanks
Anne

Tattoo Lane

Jun 28, 2016
Devon UK
Hi Wozzie, I'm in a similar situation myself, I looked up local care at home companies in the area and have emailed them, telling them about my mum not wanting to have a carer in. From what I can gather, the places I have contacted are really empathic and I'm sure would call them "befrienders" or something similar. They must have had to deal with similar situations before, so I would email them, explain the situation, and see what they suggest perhaps?. Hope this helps a little.

Wozzie

Jul 12, 2016
Cheshire
Thanks
I've been in touch with a few, there's a local society who help you to employ your own carer, cuts out the middle man, but help with insurance and wages

Such a sad time x

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Wozzie,

I found out the name of the carer who would be visiting and introduced her as "my friend, Jane" or whatever name she is. Initially I invited her in and asked mum, "is it ok if my friend Jane shares a cuppa with us?" Fortunately, although mum wasn't one to visit, she would make visitors welcome and was always happy to share a cuppa.

It took a few visits, but the carers were so friendly that they happily went along with it and it wasn't long before they said they had enjoyed her company so much would it be ok if they visited sometimes on their own.

I realise this won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I did very similar to goingitalone = slow intro process with brilliant carers although mum still managed to despatch 2 carers forthwith until I (!!) got it right and then it was peaceful ! Worth the process of working it through - she quite delighted in the fact that she might be so youthful and fascinating that she could take friends away from me for her very own!!! Whatever it takes!