Helping to make a difference in hospital, input appreciated.

babypie

Feb 29, 2012
Rubery,Birmingham
Hi

I was a carer for my late Mom, had vascular dementia and capgras syndrome. My father has Alzheimer's also and is now in a home so in total I have cared for them for around 10 years I guess on a family level.

I wonder if anyone can help? The hospital where I work has asked me to put together an informal "training sheet"to be available to the new starters on the ward to help them deal in best way possible with dementia patients. I think the main point they are trying to get over to new staff is communication and challenging behavior.

Any bullet points would be appreciated. I did look for the article on "compassionate communication" but I have to admit the new layout of the site has me baffled:eek:

I am hoping in a small way I may help improve life for our relatives suffering with his dreadful illness.
Many thanks

BP

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hello Babypie - there is a scheme that has been set up by Norms McNamara called The Purple Angel and I know he has training information that he shares with all organisations including hospitals.

Are you on Facebook? if so can give you some links to his pages and you can find out more there.

Obviously you may want to completely do your own but he is trying to get this out nationally and internationally so it would be good to know of it probably.

Good luck

Celia