Helping my brother who lives abroad

dolfm

Jan 6, 2015
My younger brother, aged 65, was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. As he lives in Holland but I live in the UK, does anyone have suggestions how I might help him long-distance? Thanks!!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
What support system does he have there? --Partner or children? If he's on his own, might he consider moving closer to you? --I was prime care-giver to my father from 1000 miles away. It badly affected both my career and my well-being in other ways. Dementia tends to do that to the prime care-giver, no matter the distance, but there are certain unique difficulties to trying to help someone when they're so far away.

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
I agree with RedLou that caring from a distance is particularly difficult, even more so in another country.

It all depends if your brother has family support in Holland... but if you are the prime care-giver, you might consider moving him closer to where you are...?

bobblehat

Aug 16, 2015
I live in a different country to Mum who has the early onset of Alzheimer's.

On a very practical level, I use TeamViewer so I can hook my computer up to my Mum's computer and help her out when she gets into problems sorting stuff out online and so on.

It's not a big thing I guess, but it all helps.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
The trouble is the illness has a way of leaping ahead of clever solutions. We gave my dad an iPad for his calendar appointments: his friends would tell me when they were, I'd fill them in on a cloud and set alarms. he loved the iPad for all of a week. Then he said it was broken. He didn't realise he had to charge it. Before we knew he had forgotten how to turn on a computer.

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
Same here, my mother was unable to use her computer to keep in touch with her family for about 2 years before she finally went into care... So sad... she stopped watching TV for the same reason.

I would like to organise some music for her, but I think that she won't know/remember how to use whatever system we choose.

bobblehat

Aug 16, 2015
So true. I wonder how long Mum will be able to continue to use the PC. Right now she finds it useful but... well, we'll see. While it's there, though, it's a useful way to help someone abroad or far away.