1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Helping my brother who lives abroad

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by dolfm, Aug 31, 2015.

1. dolfm

dolfm Registered User

Jan 6, 2015
    My younger brother, aged 65, was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. As he lives in Holland but I live in the UK, does anyone have suggestions how I might help him long-distance? Thanks!!

2. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    What support system does he have there? --Partner or children? If he's on his own, might he consider moving closer to you? --I was prime care-giver to my father from 1000 miles away. It badly affected both my career and my well-being in other ways. Dementia tends to do that to the prime care-giver, no matter the distance, but there are certain unique difficulties to trying to help someone when they're so far away.

3. Angela T

Angela T Registered User

Jul 13, 2014
    France
    I agree with RedLou that caring from a distance is particularly difficult, even more so in another country.

It all depends if your brother has family support in Holland... but if you are the prime care-giver, you might consider moving him closer to where you are...?

4. bobblehat

bobblehat Registered User

Aug 16, 2015
    I live in a different country to Mum who has the early onset of Alzheimer's.

On a very practical level, I use TeamViewer so I can hook my computer up to my Mum's computer and help her out when she gets into problems sorting stuff out online and so on.

It's not a big thing I guess, but it all helps.

5. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    The trouble is the illness has a way of leaping ahead of clever solutions. We gave my dad an iPad for his calendar appointments: his friends would tell me when they were, I'd fill them in on a cloud and set alarms. he loved the iPad for all of a week. Then he said it was broken. He didn't realise he had to charge it. Before we knew he had forgotten how to turn on a computer.

6. Angela T

Angela T Registered User

Jul 13, 2014
    France
    Same here, my mother was unable to use her computer to keep in touch with her family for about 2 years before she finally went into care... So sad... she stopped watching TV for the same reason.

I would like to organise some music for her, but I think that she won't know/remember how to use whatever system we choose.

7. bobblehat

bobblehat Registered User

Aug 16, 2015
    So true. I wonder how long Mum will be able to continue to use the PC. Right now she finds it useful but... well, we'll see. While it's there, though, it's a useful way to help someone abroad or far away.