Helping Mum manage dads anger

loopylou50

Feb 5, 2018
Hello, I’m just wondering whether anyone has experience of their loved one being so angry with their partner, especially at night.
Dad has Alzheimer’s, he’s convinced my mums hiding another man in the house and spends a good couple of hours each night searching the house especially at bedtime, he’s really abusive to Mum and I know he’d be so devastated if he knew what he was doing.
I’m at the point where I’m considering asking whether a short course of risperdone would help but understand the risks of this, Mum is so desperate now, has anyone experienced similar?
Thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That sounds a bit like sundowning. If it has been a sudden onset it may even be an infection like a UTI.

Whatever it is it does sound like a check-up and a meds review by the GP would be a good idea.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello, I’m just wondering whether anyone has experience of their loved one being so angry with their partner, especially at night.
Dad has Alzheimer’s, he’s convinced my mums hiding another man in the house and spends a good couple of hours each night searching the house especially at bedtime, he’s really abusive to Mum and I know he’d be so devastated if he knew what he was doing.
I’m at the point where I’m considering asking whether a short course of risperdone would help but understand the risks of this, Mum is so desperate now, has anyone experienced similar?
Thank you
Yes, I do agree, sundowning and I notice the residents of husbands nursing home often get angry later in the day. Myhusband got very angry about half past four every day and twice pushed me right down the stairs, causing bruising and injury. We have to be on alert for this kind of thing when they do get angry He does not get angry in his nursing home, just with me at home. warmest and all sympathy, kindred.