1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

    Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

    Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.

Helping Adult Children

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Wifenotcarer, May 11, 2018.

  1. Wifenotcarer

    Wifenotcarer Registered User

    Mar 11, 2018
    We have always treated our finances as a family unit - Self, husband and 2 daughters. e.g. any windfalls such as legacies or lottery wins are always divided equally 4 ways, we provided deposits to buy student flats, while the daughters paid the mortgages themselves, helped by always having a rent paying flatmate. When one of the flats sold at a huge profit and the other at a loss, daughters pooled the money to provide deposits for both of them to buy family homes. Now, because of rapidly growing Grandchildren both these houses require extensions. No problem, as although we are income poor we are savings rich and promised to contribute £20,000 to each of the upgrades. So far no problem BUT:

    My OH has mid to late stage dementia and we have to face the possibility that he will require residential care in the next year or two. From my research on this and other forums it seems that if we give the money to our daughters then SS could demand that they pay it back to fund their father's care. They would not be in a position to do that as that money and the rest of their own savings, would by then have been spent on their urgently needed extensions.

    Have I got this right? Does anyone know a way round this conumdrum?
  2. marionq

    marionq Registered User

    Apr 24, 2013
    If the money is in joint names then you could give it from your half. They have no right or interest in asking what your assets are only those of your husband if he enters care.

    I give sums to our grand children's education funds from my money for exactly that reason.

Share This Page