Help

sally.warden

Jan 20, 2017
I am an activities co ordinator and sometimes struggle to coax residents to join in with planned activities. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so do you have any tips which may help me

Thanks in advance

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I found that Mum would be more willing to join in if she was asked to be a helper. Rather than " come and play Skittles, Mary", a " Mary, could you come and help Doris play skittles..... you know she likes you to help" worked much better.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Have you thought about armchair activities for those that do not want to join in with the bigger and probably more physically able. It does not have to be something amazing and outstanding. Check out your local library for books about childrens activities, you may find something you can adapt for your own use.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Some people will never join in activities though. My late husband never joined in anything - the Activities Co-ordinator at his nursing home tried everything! But he had never been interested in doing much at home either - he had spent all his time reading. Once he could no longer do that, he didn't want to do anything else. He used to play chess too - but once it became difficult for him, he refused to play any more. He was perfectly happy watching the activities though - he enjoyed watching others take part.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
I wonder if sometimes activities could be unplanned, spontaneous. Think I would be reluctant to join in planned activities. I say this because over Christmas I was playing catch indoors with one grandchild and his teddy, then other grandchild, then OH. Soon all the family were involved (ornaments at risk) but my OH was laughing and really enjoying himself. However, I don't think OH would have appreciated me offering him a life enhancing game of catch.