Help!

Dippley

Aug 31, 2015
Hi all,
Just joined this forum as my dad (80) has been diagnosed with mixed dementia & Alzheimer's . My mam is still sound mind and is my dad's main carer. Both are on state pension. I've been told to look into carer's allowance for her but tbh I don't know where to start! ( plus the diagnose is still v new so mind's all over!) Both don't receive any benefits. I would be pleased for any help anyone can give me . Thanks in advance .

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ok. Calm down. Deep breath.

For your Mum to receive Carers Allowance she needs to care more than 35 hours a week (that's the easy part) and earn less than £110 a week. If she is over a certain age and receives state pension, she can't get the money but an underlying entitlement that might increase some of her other benefits like pension credit. Also, your Dad needs to be in receipt of Attendance Allowance or equivalent first. Read these links, they are pretty straight forward.

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview

Any charity like Alzheimer's Society, Age UK or CAB can help you fill in these and other forms.

Please also look into Power of Attorney plus council tax exemption for Dad on the grounds of severe mental impairment (needs Attendance Allowance usually).

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Our local Age UK were wonderful. One of their staff came round to help fill in the Attendance Allowance form (they know how to word things so you are more likely to get a result!).

Once you get that for him your Mum can apply for Carer's Allowance. That form is a whole lot easier. You can also apply for a reduction in your parents' Council Tax as your father is mentally impaired. My parents get a 25% reduction. There are other things you can get help with but these are the priority to get in place.

Age UK also helped us with the Lasting Power of Attorney form which was intimidatingly long and complicated, especially if your head is on the verge of exploding dealing with all the other issues and impacts of having a loved one diagnosed with this vile disease. Getting LPA asap is essential, don;t delay!

I'd advise getting as much help as you can for this stuff or you'll feel even more overwhelmed. And use Talking Point as much as you can. In the absence of a manual of what to do when you get dealt this horrible card it's a fantastic Go To place for advice, links, friendship and people who actually understand what you're going through.

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I had carers allowance for three years when I had to give up work to care for my husband. He is 11 years older than me. However, once I got my state pension aged 62 the carers allowance stopped , although of course the caring did not. My understanding is that once you receive state pension you do not get carers allowance so if your mum is already getting this I cannot see she will be eligible, although I am sure she is caring for your dad.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I suggest your mum contacts the local carers group and/or AS as they will guide her through what help might be available.
Tre

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I had carers allowance for three years when I had to give up work to care for my husband. He is 11 years older than me. However, once I got my state pension aged 62 the carers allowance stopped , although of course the caring did not. My understanding is that once you receive state pension you do not get carers allowance so if your mum is already getting this I cannot see she will be eligible, although I am sure she is caring for your dad.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I suggest your mum contacts the local carers group and/or AS as they will guide her through what help might be available.
Tre

This has already been mentioned, BUT it will give her an underlying entitlement to other benefits. Applying for Attendance Allowance comes first though.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Attendance Allowance for your dad is definitely worth claiming even if your mum cant claim anything (even underlying benefits) as it is not means tested. It will also mean that he will be disregarded for council tax, so if there is only your parents living in the house they will get a 25% reduction.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
I would also ask the council to give your mother a carer's assessment - if asked to do one, they must. I wasn't going to bother, but Mum's psychiatrist at the memory clinic said I should. I was surprised that my council will pay for two hours respite care for me and a cleaner for an hour - not means tested.