Help

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I'm sure people have helped me before, but I'm just being a bit thick.

What is the difference between a thread and a post?

I have sent "new stuff" to the site, but have no idea how to find how or if people have responded. Should I do this via a Thread, or via a Post? And how do I find out if they have responded?

I just don't know how to use the site for my own benefit. I can add lots of comments to other people's queries, but don't have a clue how to find out who has responded to my queries unless it is by chance.

I am new to all this. Most of you have been suffering AD for years, we had just 2 months to get adjusted, one day mum was seemingly okay, the next a hospital case and not allowed out without 24-hour supervision. I just seem to feel so alone. I have no siblings, my husband has no siblings, no cousins able to help (most abroad or not seen in 30 years), my two daughters visit rarely (aren't able to) and find mum "fine" when they do, and I get the impression they think I have "put her there" for convenience. Well, sorry, it was much more convenient when mum was looking after her own life, and might have lived like that for years, and I would have inherited her house. Now the house is sold, to pay for her care, (though we have had to pay the first three months ourselves, nearly £6,000, and I wouldn't have done that if I had been "after her money". I feel so alone, and I do not know how to access the replies I have put on the site where people might be able to help me to feel better.

I've probably already been told. Sorry, I've forgotten. I am not good at this. Spent the last two weeks emptying mums house of 50 years of married life, parts of it are upsetting. The tears are coming again. Stop it Margaret, this is how life is. And I didn't even love my mum (that's another issue).

Brucie has tried to give me a run-down on how to get access to replies to my mails, but I just don't understand it. Can someone else please try? Words of one syllable please. An Idiots Guide.

Please help, I am at the end of my tether. I feel so alone.

Regards

Margaret

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Margaret

You have had a massive change in your life, and its a brave thing to do, to do the right thing moving a parent to a NH, been there done that. You know in your heart you had no other choice to keep mum safe and as well as she can be.

I am sorry you have no extended family to share this with, but you have us, we are all here for you, and have walked a mile in your shoes, so we do understand. Sending you a virtual hug, just sorry its not the real thing.

Techi bit, well I'm not the best in the world, but here goes. A Thread is where you pose a question, or start a 'thread' yourself. Just look for the heading you started it off with, and you should be OK. A post is where you reply to somebody who has 'started' a thread. You will find the posts you have replied to already by the little arrow along side. Oh dear, reading that, its seems as clear as mud. Im sure someone will be along soon who is better at explaining than me.

You say you paid for your mums first 3 months NH care yourself whilst you were waiting to sell her home, I dont see any reason why you cannot pay yourself back this money from the proceeds of the sale. You havent spent the money on yourself, you spent it on your mums care.

Keep in touch anytime you need to share anything at all.

Love

Cate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margaret.

I don`t know why you`re so anxious about using this site, you seem to be managing fine.

You have started your own new Threads and answered posts from others.

One thing you might not know which may help you. On the green bar at the top of the page, you will see `New Posts`. If you click on that, it will show all the new posts since you were last on line.

Also, if you click on `Quick Links`, on the same green bar, on the drop down box you will see `Today`s Posts`. If you click on that, it will show all the posts of the day.

Hope this helps a bit.

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Margaret

in response to your PM of a couple of nights ago, I wrote and posted some help at http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?p=98487#post98487

However this morning I have also got your latest 3 PMs to say you have difficulty reading and understanding it, so I will re-make it, a bit larger, and expand a bit.

I'm really sorry you are having difficulties with this.

Just to confirm, Talking Point is not the same sort of site as GenesReunited. TP is a support forum where there are many different 'conversations' - threads, containing posts.

With GenesReunited, conversations are generally from one person to another on a single topic. With TP, conversations may include quite a few different people, over time, and that is much more difficult to follow.

I'll put some new help up as soon as I can. :)

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Now Brucie, I have just come across these replies from you quite by chance. I have no idea how I got to them. I haven't read them yet, except that one I landed on earlier I decided to print out and landed up with I don't know how many pages of rubbish and had to switch off the printer to stop it all.

I am just not competent enough to deal with this. The effort is actually worse that dealing with the illness on my own. I cannot do with systems that don't work. If we are going to have a system it should work. If it doesn't work then it isn't a proper system. If it works for everyone else bar me, then I am clearly incompetent, and I have had enough.

Suddenly these replies from you have appeared from nowhere. I think I have AD!

Oh dear, I have taken up too much of your time, and your colleague Cate is on my track too.

Was it you who mentioned Genes Reunitied? See another problem with this site, you don't know what you are replying to. GR does have separate tabs for different types of queries, and it does have a tab entitled "my threads", so you can look at things you have either initiated or responded to.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, don't worry any more. It will all be over next week.

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Margaret, if you click on your own name (in blue on any of your posts) you'll find your profile. On that page under Forum Info you'll find 2 blue clickable links
Find all posts by Margaret W
Find all threads started by Margaret W

The first will list all the posts you have made starting with the most recent, the second will list all the threads you have started.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
To everybody who helped on this, thank you, It is now sorted, I go to the foot of the main page, and all my posts and threads are there.

Brucie, if you are in on this, it is no different with Genes Reunited, but their system is easier!

Ah, well, I now know what I am doing!

Cheers.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Threads and Posts

Hi Folks,

I have now got it! Thanks for all your help. Sorry to have been such a pain. Am there now. and not just by chance but knowing how to do it.

Cheers all!

Margaret