Help

Jo33

Apr 4, 2015
My mum has dementia and I look after her totally I was told that I should try and get some help not sure how to do this.

SandraBetty

Apr 4, 2015
Start at the beginning

My mum has dementia and I look after her totally I was told that I should try and get some help not sure how to do this.

Take mum to her GP if you can or visit your own GP if you can't. Ask for a referral to the older persons mental health team and local social services. You should have a full assessment of your home life needs and a carers assessment if needed. You should have been directed in the right way when mum was diagnosed and when she had a formal brain scan to identify which dementia was present.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Jo, ridiculous time to be awake, waiting for teen daughter to return home from job in local restaurant. Didn't want to read and run. I understand how difficult it is to access care and to try and get help needed for your mum. Do not give up, contact your GP and explain your circumstances. Actually my Dads neighbour, rang 999, and explained that she thought Dad had, had a Stoke as he was acting out of character. She did him and me a big favour. He was admitted for asssessement, and I was not responsible!! He was eventually found a fantastic NH, by myself and SS. We are both much happier. I know he is safe and well looked after, a big weight has been lifted. Hope you and Mum are ok. You will never be alone on here. Everybody supports everybody as they understand all your problems. X

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I agree with Betty, a visit to the GP is a good idea.

You can also contact social services directly and ask for a needs assessment for your mum, and a Carers assessment for you. Look for the number of your local adult social care ( or social work) team. You can phone them, or sometimes refer yourself and your mum online.

It would also be a good idea to look for your local Alzheimer's Disease branch. They may have a helpline, and may run services like dementia cafés ( where you go with mum) or day care. They also do things like like singing for the brain!

You could also look for your local AgeUK branch, or see if there are Admiral nurses in your area. Once you get in touch with one service, they can usually advise you on a plan of action.

There's lots of help out there, though not always straightforward to arrange. Do look, though....I wish you well and hope you get good support :)

Lindy xx

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct

Hi! You can request an assessment from social services for your mum and yourself as a carer..plz insist they come to see you both even if they ask you questions on the phone.
Contact the alzheimers local team.and there are people like age uk crossroads and more that can offer sitting services..amongst other things.
Try the social services first..you are entitled to help..try the carers project if you need support..

The society have advocates that can speak to people for you or with you.
You sound completely able to deal with all this..just remember you matter too!
Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
What possible help can be given after a carer's assessment or an assessment of my husband who has Alzheimer's. Is it all means tested help?

Reds

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
No. It should be needs based initially. They should tell you about Attendance Alliwance and reduction in council tax neither of which are means tested once diagnosed. You should be given information about Alz social groups which both of you can attend and about day centres for your husband. The latter may require some payment eg my husband is charged £15 plus £4 for lunch. If you are on benefits there may not be a charge.

The may refer him to the local team of health workers eg occupational therapy etc. get the assessment then see what is available. Take note of names and phone numbers of all workers so you can get back to them with questions.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
No. It should be needs based initially. They should tell you about Attendance Alliwance and reduction in council tax neither of which are means tested once diagnosed. You should be given information about Alz social groups which both of you can attend and about day centres for your husband. The latter may require some payment eg my husband is charged £15 plus £4 for lunch. If you are on benefits there may not be a charge.

The may refer him to the local team of health workers eg occupational therapy etc. get the assessment then see what is available. Take note of names and phone numbers of all workers so you can get back to them with questions.

Thanks very much marionq x