Help!!

vickic

Oct 10, 2012
Advice desperately needed!!
Damn social worker is the Bain of my life!! Here.
Anyway, the story so far, requested financial assessment for direct payment, grandad ok at the time. Approved for 4 hours per day. Never got round to receiving it or organising our own care, grandad gets ill, I call for urgent help and was told because we were approved for d/p and I get c.a it was my problem!! So I cancelled the d/p meeting and ask for assessment. He assessed as "emi" and require nursing care. We disagreed, especially as the lead consultant at the hospital agreed with us!! So ask for another assessment, ok not nursing care anymore so cut out 60%of agency support we were receiving! Went from 2 at 10am 1 at 2pm 2 at 7 pm to 1 at 10am 1 at 7pm!! That's not 28 hours a week!!! Been arguing ever since, she rang me this morning and demanded to know what I did there all day!!!!

So my question is this... they agreed to 28 hours a week! Surely they should provide this! His condition is worse not better! Why is she fighting me over providing 15 hours a week?
My carers allowance seems to be causing mega problems and I've decided to cancel it!! They throw it in my face at least twice a day!!!! What kind of care package could my grandad get at home if he has no carer??
Do I have to justify exactly what I do at his house 9am-6pm every day or can ss tell me what hours they want me to do?
Thanks in advance!!!!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
if you are getting direct payments for carers, don't you have to arrange them?

I guess if you claim carers allowance they will expect you to do some of the caring - its 35 hours a week

Last edited:

vickic

Oct 10, 2012
if you are getting direct payments for carers, don't you have to arrange them?

I guess if you claim carers allowance they will expect you to do some of the caring - its 35 hours a week

Yes I currently care for him 60 hours a week, and they have the hours I do, but she wants to tell me what time of day I should be working! And yes that's correct about direct payment, but whilst it was approved by the finance department Tec, we never actually got to the point of being told how it works and what kind of help to get, and we didn't get any money, we had a crisis with him before that and I called them for help and they told me to deal with it myself! That ended in a 999 call!!!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do you live with him? 60 is an awful lot of hours. What needs are not covered in that 60 hours?

So are you now deemed to be getting direct payments or not? If so I guess it is down to you
How long ago did they award the direct payments ?
Do you intend getting anyone in, or doing it yourself?
If he needs that much care he does sound as though he needs to go into residential care Does he really need almost 13 hours a day constant care?

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
I would complain in writing to the head of the social work department and keep a copy.
Not only about Dads social worker but also the problem with direct payments as well as what the SW keeps saying re your carers allowance, cause in my mind its just not on.

Please dont cancel your carers allowance, it is actually nothing to do with the SW, you are more than entitled to it, pittance that it is

If I remember right, one of the clauses for carers allowance
(its been awhile since I claimed it) is ,that you have to be AVAILABLE for 35 hrs a week, which means you dont have to actually be there doing hands on caring, you just need to be available.

Also its nothing to do with the SW when you are with your dad.

You are fully entitled to a life outside of caring!! and caring for Dad 60 hrs a week is a lot, Its very demanding on you, how much more does that Sw want of you .

So PLEASE do write and complain, I know its a terrible hassle and very wearing ( got the Tshirt) having to complain, fight, chase up etc etc, Please find the strength to write and post it.

Last edited:

vickic

Oct 10, 2012
Well, that was easier than I expected!! I rang 9am on the dot, asked for the manager, told her I was concerned over safety of my grandad as we only had 1 girl in evening, so she says.... Ok you want two? I'll check the care agency can do that and fill the paper work in .... called back 3 minutes later yes that's been all done for you Vicki!!
What? Is it really that easy? I am flabbergasted!!

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Good for you, dont let them bully you and I agree you should still get your carers allowance, it is not fair that you have been bullied into thinking you should not receive it, you more than deserve it especially as it is you that is there all night alone and responsible for him, stand your ground. xx

Ange