Help

northern

Jul 29, 2013
My mom got diagnosed with Dementia last year...she is on a waiting list to enter a facility. In the mean time my brother and I took care of her since October and her behaviour has been the following: wondering in the forests, picking up rocks, dirt, obsession on cleaning and washing, use of toilet paper, anger out bursts, not sleeping but rather washing and staying up all night...mumbling to herself...angry again and at time peaceful...this has been going on for about 3 weeks...she has not been on medication because my brother believes that herbs will do the job...now we have taken her to my oldest brothers in the last 72 hours outside of our territory...he is not dealing with wondering and actually going and knocking on people houses and actually went into a house last night...she has not been sleeping and keeps everyone up all night long...we are in the process of putting her in the facility but she is on a waiting list...there is limited services for us and I do not know what to do for her at this point...we are all very frustrated and scared for her safety. I adviced my brother to get her to the hospital - emergency. he is so freaked out as the rest of us...someone help...I don't know what to do thank you

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi Northern

Welcome to the forum. It really is a frightening disease for all concerned including your Mum. You don't say if you live in the UK. I just wondered if you do, because the usual pattern to get things sorted out for your mum is through your Mum's GP and then he should refer her to the Memory Clinic where she will be assessed and possibly medication prescribed for her.

How old is your Mum. Is she on any medication, does she go to any Cay Care or into Respite care now and again?

It is very frightening and your really do need some help in getting everything sorted out.

I hope that others will be along to reassure you soon.

Love
Pauline

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Northern
How worrying for you. It sounds like she needs immediate assesment. I would contact your local social services ( not sure what country you are in?) and explain what is happening. Maybe she was not like this when originally put on the waiting list? If things have deteriorated I would let someone know asap. Has she been checked for possible infections? That can be the cause of sudden deterioration.
Best wishes and I hope you get some help soon.

Last edited:

northern

Jul 29, 2013
I am just getting familiar with this site. I live in Canada. my mom is 80 years old...she is not on any medication. My brother is taking her to the hospital right now because he has no choice; we had to admit her last year the same time...it not good as we all live far apart and now I feel we have burden him when he was taking her for respite but doesn't work, nothing works except the hospital at this point.

Hi Northern

Welcome to the forum. It really is a frightening disease for all concerned including your Mum. You don't say if you live in the UK. I just wondered if you do, because the usual pattern to get things sorted out for your mum is through your Mum's GP and then he should refer her to the Memory Clinic where she will be assessed and possibly medication prescribed for her.

How old is your Mum. Is she on any medication, does she go to any Cay Care or into Respite care now and again?

It is very frightening and your really do need some help in getting everything sorted out.

I hope that others will be along to reassure you soon.

Love
Pauline

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Clearly Herbs are not doing the job!
What happens when she is in hospital? is this a 'medical' hospital or a phychiatric one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne-Marie14