Help!

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Any support - emotional or practical regarding what to ask would be really appreciated. I just feel I'm coping with the illness and then there's another blow.

Blue sea

Last edited:

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Blue sea, sorry you're having such a tough time.

Seroquel is a major tranquiliser and 100mg twice a day will probably calm him. 25mg once a day made my mother a zombie but she was tiny and had other medical problems.

I don't know what an Iris team is (it maybe has something to do with Iris Murdoch a research team I think is being set up in her name for dementia but I could be wrong) but I'm sure someone knows out there. I hope the treatment works for your dad and he doesn't have to move from the home he likes.

Last edited:

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Blue sea,

Sorry to hear about your current problems. My Dad became too much for the staff at his Home (EMI unit) and he was taken into hospital for an assessment at the beginning of this year. We thought he wouldn't be allowed back but luckily, the new medication worked and he went back to the Home again. I just wanted to let you know that returning is possible but I suppose all options have to be considered.

IRIS could be "The Initial Response and Intensive Support Team" but I'm afraid that I couldn't find much more about them.

Best wishes,

KarenC

Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, USA
Hi Blue Sea,

Sorry to hear about your dad's problems. When my mom was first started on Seroquel, at a low dose (sorry, I don't remember specifics), it was like a miracle drug. Big improvement in behavior with no ill effects. But, as with your dad, after several months of continued progression of her dementia, the aggression started up again. At that point, after several short hospitalizations, many changes of medication, and general consternation, we moved her from an assisted living facility (not equipped to handle dementia) to the dementia home where she now is.

When the assisted living place told us my mom could no longer stay there, they recommended Silverado (where she now is): they take the tough cases. I was apprehensive about this, as I envisioned something pretty institutional (like the mental hospital wards where my mom stayed briefly). I was very pleasantly surprised at what Silverado actually is -- anything but institutional! They are very good at compassionately and respectfully dealing with folks with dementia, and it is a very residential atmosphere. Anyway, the point is a place doesn't have to be bad in order to handle "challenging behavior."

I'm not in the U.K. , so don't know exactly what "EMI" is or what types of homes there are there. I hope if you need to find a new place you'll find one you are comfortable with.

Karen

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Thanks to those of you who offered support. Met with the CPN (community psychiatric nurse) yesterday and feel a bit better about things. Iris is an 'intensive inreach team' that will work with the staff in the home for up to 6 weeks, observing how they interact with challenging patients like dad and advise on how to prevent and/or deal with aggressive behaviour. That sounds really helpful. The home has several 'challenging' residents at the moment so are glad of intervention (or at least they say they are - some staff seem a bit fed up at the observations!)

karen, your comments were helpful as now I've got more used to the idea I'm thinking that a move to a special unit might actually be better for dad as their staffing ratios are better and they're obviously geared up to dealing with the problems. By the way EMI stands for Elderly Mentally Infirm which in reality is older people suffering from demetia related illnesses, though it could include any mental condition in the elderly. The CPN is also recommending dad for NHS continuous care though seems doubtful whether the authority will pay. The special unit costs £900 a week so that's pretty important if he needs to go there!

Final straw today - have been diagnosed with high blood pressure - not surprising really!!

blue sea