Help

RobynG

Dec 9, 2020
My 55 year old sister was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. I’m not sure where to begin in order to help her. Can someone help me to understand what to expect?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum @RobynG. I‘m so sorry to hear about your sister. It must be very hard for both of you to come to terms with the diagnosis - especially as she is so young.

I think you might find this factsheet helpful in terms of understanding Alzheimers -

Also this one -

There are many factsheets available on the main Alzheimer‘s Society website and you can find the link to that at the top of this page - under your name.

If you haven‘t already done so it would be useful to get power of attorney organised.

I won’t add any more factsheets here as there’s nothing worse than being overwhelmed with information. The best thing for you to do is to keep posting here. Other members will be along later to give their suggestions and support. You will always find someone here to listen and to support.

My 55 year old sister was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. I’m not sure where to begin in order to help her. Can someone help me to understand what to expect?
Hi RobynG I was diagnosed with early onset dementia a couple of years ago. I'm still the same person I always was. I feel the disease's progression, but some days are better than others.
The simple fact is that no two people with dementia are on the same journey. Some people go downhill quickly, while others may remain pretty much fully functional for well over a decade. Just let your sister live her life, and be ready to support her if needed.
A diagnosis of Alzheimer's doesn't immediately signal a rapid decline. Your sister can still do a lot of worthwhile and exciting things.
Have a look at my blog for more info and advice on dementia-related topics www.livingwithdementia.online