Help!

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
Hello everyone, this post is quite upbeat.
My hubby, who had lost his passionate interest in football when his favourite team was demoted, has regained his lost love, probably because he forgot past problems. On the plus side this has given him a boost and a greatly needed interest and I am thrilled.

But.......

As someone who is not a football fan how on Earth will I survive in this World Cup year?

Holding on to my thrilledness, keeping positive.... at least I have my iPad ;)

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Have you a hobby that you can do while the football is on or sitting in the garden with a glass of wine and a book you have been meaning to read when you found the time? So pleased your OH has a glimpse of pleasure for an interest from his past.

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
Have you a hobby that you can do while the football is on or sitting in the garden with a glass of wine and a book you have been meaning to read when you found the time? So pleased your OH has a glimpse of pleasure for an interest from his past.

Sitting in the garden with wine and a book sounds like heaven.... thanks :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In 53 years of marriage I have had no interest in football and could see my husband far enough when I was juggling six tasks and he was glued to the TV. Since he developed dementia I have become something of an expert in football to the amusement of my daughters because I need to keep John focused and following the game. If I don’t keep telling him who’s who and what’s happening he hasn’t a clue.

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
In 53 years of marriage I have had no interest in football and could see my husband far enough when I was juggling six tasks and he was glued to the TV. Since he developed dementia I have become something of an expert in football to the amusement of my daughters because I need to keep John focused and following the game. If I don’t keep telling him who’s who and what’s happening he hasn’t a clue.
Oh bless you. Not sure I could be that informative.

Pipeth

Jan 13, 2018
Northamptonshire
I have been pretending to develop an interest in the world cup, hoping my OH will regain some interest in football. His team is Pompey, so I wonder if their lack of success has put him off football and it's nothing to do with dementia.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
In our household I have suddenly learnt how to understand Snooker, Rugby and Football.....

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
I have been pretending to develop an interest in the world cup, hoping my OH will regain some interest in football. His team is Pompey, so I wonder if their lack of success has put him off football and it's nothing to do with dementia.
My hubby lost interest when his team went down, he’s a Glasgow Rangers supporter. His dementia has helped him forget what happened and he’s enthusiastic again, though very confused with the whole thing. Hope your OH gets some interest back.

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
In our household I have suddenly learnt how to understand Snooker, Rugby and Football.....
I’m impressed. I quite like watching Rugby but I don’t really understand it. Snooker was one of my interests years ago but don’t even mention the off side rule in football, even the explanation in “The Full Monty” lost me :)

tracer60

Jun 22, 2018
My partner recently got diagnosed with dementia, he has always hated watching football. However, since the world cup started he has been obsessed. Our grandkids introduced us to World Cup Bingo which has made it much more exciting for me.

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
My partner recently got diagnosed with dementia, he has always hated watching football. However, since the world cup started he has been obsessed. Our grandkids introduced us to World Cup Bingo which has made it much more exciting for me.
Oh bless him. For all its ills, there are some interesting side lines that can surprise and make us smile.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
On Monday night I went to sing with my classical choir, my hubby went to visit our friends so he would not be alone. I took him over to their house. Where the plan was that he and his friend (who walks with him every Friday) would enjoy the Footie and a beer or two. When I picked him up they were still watching the match. As we drove home, I asked how was the match? he said, "Roger Federer is a great tennis player." I let it go...years ago I could not have let this go it would have upset me that he had no clue of what he had been doing for the last 3 hours. I would have said you were watching football not tennis. I no longer do that. It doesnt matter that he has no idea, he was not alone, he did not experience anxiety because I was not with him. I got to go to choir and he was content. Yes, acceptance is the answer.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
On Monday night I went to sing with my classical choir, my hubby went to visit our friends so he would not be alone. I took him over to their house. Where the plan was that he and his friend (who walks with him every Friday) would enjoy the Footie and a beer or two. When I picked him up they were still watching the match. As we drove home, I asked how was the match? he said, "Roger Federer is a great tennis player." I let it go...years ago I could not have let this go it would have upset me that he had no clue of what he had been doing for the last 3 hours. I would have said you were watching football not tennis. I no longer do that. It doesnt matter that he has no idea, he was not alone, he did not experience anxiety because I was not with him. I got to go to choir and he was content. Yes, acceptance is the answer.
I am in that stage when the wrong response still irks me. I have learned to let it go sometimes but that means acceptance, and sometimes I say the correct thing and he says ‘oh yes of course’, which reassures me that he is still there. I shall remember your words, thank you.

JJwren

Mar 30, 2018
This is something I am learning, but it’s difficult.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We are so used to logical and reasonable conversations that when something totally off the wall is expressed it causes a huge sudden disconnect - the mental equivalent of being kneed in the groin - and inside we go WHAT!!!!! So it is all to easy to express this in words too. Im as bad as anyone else, it just catches me by surprise each time (although I know it shouldnt)