Help!!

Debjac

Mar 23, 2017
Hi this is my first time on here I look after my mother 24/7 she has altzheimers she is 86 and is going down hill fast. Today she is walking round looking for her mum nothing any of say will convince her that her mum isn't here she died in 1984 has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this it is heartbreaking she gets so upset

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Ho debacle
Welcome to tp.
I'm new to site, but when mum was home- now in ch with az- we were advised to distract,not to agree or disagree with any statement,just to give a 'love lie' whatwver would help calm her.
Now in ch she asks about dead relatives/ when are they visiting her etc.i us say I'm not sure,will try and find out,think they've been busy etc etc
Could your mum have a uti? This can cause confusion ?
Best wishes
Ros

Hi this is my first time on here I look after my mother 24/7 she has altzheimers she is 86 and is going down hill fast. Today she is walking round looking for her mum nothing any of say will convince her that her mum isn't here she died in 1984 has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this it is heartbreaking she gets so upset

Debjac

Mar 23, 2017
Possible uti yet again will try distracting so very hard sometimes when I just want to scream but hey ho hopefully get some sleep tonight thanks for replying [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Hi Debjac

It's so difficult and frustrating, I know. I hope it helps to say that I've been where you are now and you do learn how to navigate around this disease so that both you and the Person With Dementia (PWD) are less upset on a day-to-day basis.

The lightbulb moment for me was when someone on this forum pointed me at this helpsheet: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

It took a while to get the hang of its advice, but once I did, Mum was a lot happier and it became automatic with me eventually to follow its guidance.

I wish you love and strength going forward. Dealing with this horrible disease is so difficult when no one else in your circle understands. But you can't blame them ... if you've never been through it, you can't even imagine what it's like. Keep coming back here - there are lovely people who absolutely understand everything you're going through and will stop you feeling so alone.

Hugs

Jo x