help yourself

towncrier

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
I have received a tip which I think other carers might find useful. It is to put ICE (in case of emergency) against the name of your preferred contact in your mobile phone. This would enable emergency services to contact someone on your behalf if you should meet with an accident. Without your contacts being flagged up in this way, valuable time could be wasted trying all of them. If you want to, you could tag the contacts as ICE 1, ICE 2 etc. It would also be useful for getting emergency help, via your contact, to your Alzheimer's patient

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sylvia,

this was an idea started by someone who worked for an ambulance company, I have ICE contacts on my phone and a few friends who do the same.

Here are some tips for adding ICE numbers to your phone:

http://www.icecontact.com/products.asp?productID=8

To answer your direct question Sylvia. I think there is a drive to make in internationaly recognised and many local authorities in the UK have taken it on board...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

They could do with an awareness campaign.

cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Thanks for the prompt.

I did have ICE numbers on my old mobile phone but have not recreated them on the new one.

Another job to do!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
We were given the tip about ICE contact on mobiles when we first went to an Alz. Support Group Course.

The other tip was to have a RED FILE in a handy spot within your home. Apparently Ambulance Drivers look for these if they enter a house in an emergency. So we have one containing information about GP's consultants, medication, next of kin etc. There is information relating to each of us within that file. (I purchased a ring binder from local stationer).

There is also the Green Cross box which goes in the fridge (in the event of fire this may still be rescued!). The boxes are normally available freely from Pharmacists.

Best wishes Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jan. There`s so much information to learn, new every day.:)

What`s the purpose of the Green Cross Box? :confused:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What`s the purpose of the Green Cross Box? :confused:

It's a cylindrical plastic container with a form inside. You fill in details of medication, next-of-kin, GP etc, and leave it in the door compartment of the fridge. There's a sticker with a green cross that you're supposed to stick to the inside of the door frame to let the paramedics know to look for it.

They're specially useful for people who live alone, or for carers where the person cared for would be unlikely to be able to give information if the carer was ill.

As Jan, says, you can get them free from Boots.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel.

The Green Cross Box sounds excellent, I`ll definitely be getting one of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorfolkRambler