Help with understanding what I've just signed.

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
Hi guys thanks for sticking with me on this your proving to be more informative then any one in authoritiy so far. Heres a breakdown on mums home.. The house is round £50 , I had it valued in June needs a lot of work doing on it. Mum owes £15 still on the mortgage. She's allowed £23,500 so i believe and if you take off 10% for admin fees like I've read some where then it leave between 10 to 15 or maybe little more. Mums nursing care fees will be around £750 to £800 a week if I'm lucky I told my social worker no top ups and since then not heard from him in over two weeks. I'm supposed be ringing round care homes but I work all day and at night there's no managers. Twice I've arranged assements from affordable homes twice no ones turned up. This week I've rang none I've got disheartened with this process and shouldn't my SS worker be helping me more. I've tried ringing is desk but don't get thru to him. Must be very busy..

Thank you both for the birthday wish's & thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these matters with me. My mind runs riot your experience in these matters helps feels like I've finally got some one to talk too..

Hi Crestfallen,
I think with the amount of money involved, plus a mortgage, I would be just telling the LA to get on with it. Good luck.

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
Hi Crestfallen,
I think with the amount of money involved, plus a mortgage, I would be just telling the LA to get on with it. Good luck.

Hi Crestfallen,
Just another thought. Would there be any possibility of you being able to buy your mum's house? The process may get a little complicated, COP permission etc, but avoid you having to find somewhere to live.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi @CrestFallen
Thanks for the further info on the house - given the low value plus the fact there is a mortgage to repay, I can see there would be precious little left for care fees. I believe you said your mother has not yet had a means test? If so, when the means test is done they may realise there is not much in it for them. Please let us know how it goes.

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Hi All

Just to clarify few points cuz I see how these posts get a bit lost in translation. Mums had her means test its what I did on Wednesday this week and hence me joining you all on here because I got to admit afterwards not only was I left scratching my head but I was freaked out with the form I signed but apparently having spoken to a solicitor yesterday is only me agreeing to be mums representative . The woman who did mums means test said it will be a few months before its processed fully because they are short staffed. Has for buying mums home if I could have it for what's on the mortgage then I would after all I've contributed to this home all my life. But if I've got pay market value then I may as well buy some where that's already got central heating loft insulation a damp course etc because its going cost 20,000 bring it up to modern standards. I am thinking of just walking away but even that's going have unseen consequences I'm sure. I'm in a right pickle ... Its my birthday today tho so I'm going get drunk and take a brain break for the day. Please keep your thoughts coming tho I need advice. Thanks everyone..

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Ah right, sorry I misremembered - she has had the means test but they haven't processed it. But what I said still stands, when the results come through they may not require a sale as there just won't be enough in it for them - although I don't know if they do just plough ahead in those circumstances to get any retrievable funds. The helpline may have some experience of this and be able to advise (not today obviously - enjoy your birthday!)

Here's the number if you want to give it a try next week.
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 1122

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Hi All

Just to clarify few points cuz I see how these posts get a bit lost in translation. Mums had her means test its what I did on Wednesday this week and hence me joining you all on here because I got to admit afterwards not only was I left scratching my head but I was freaked out with the form I signed but apparently having spoken to a solicitor yesterday is only me agreeing to be mums representative . The woman who did mums means test said it will be a few months before its processed fully because they are short staffed. Has for buying mums home if I could have it for what's on the mortgage then I would after all I've contributed to this home all my life. But if I've got pay market value then I may as well buy some where that's already got central heating loft insulation a damp course etc because its going cost 20,000 bring it up to modern standards. I am thinking of just walking away but even that's going have unseen consequences I'm sure. I'm in a right pickle ... Its my birthday today tho so I'm going get drunk and take a brain break for the day. Please keep your thoughts coming tho I need advice. Thanks everyone..
I'm sorry, I don't think that there is anyway that you can get back the money that you've spent on the house.

Have you contacted your mums mortgage company to explain the situation? If you haven't, you must do this immediately as non-payment of the mortgage is an additional hassle that you don't need. Or have you been paying the mortgage yourself? Be honest with them, they respond better if you are.

So your mum will not be funding her own care - she doesn't have sufficient money. The council will be doing that - so you will need to start looking at the care homes that the council fund so that you can make a good choice. Don't allow yourself to be bullied by the council.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I'm sorry if I've missed it in earlier posts, but I don't think you have mentioned whether your mum has a pension? Have you taken that into account when doing the sums?

Is the house only in your mum's name, or do you own a share at all?

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Mum got a pension but the sums I can't do because I've not had the results of the means test. The house is only in mums name with an interest only mortgage on it. She is now in permanent care as from last Friday and the clocks ticking down for the 12 week disregard. My social worker I've not seen in three or four weeks so I've not a clue what's going on. Apart from they want me to get a COP out and have the house valued. But I'm going ask for a discretionary disregard because I've lived here all my life and looked after mum for long as I can remember. I slip thru all the guide lines for mandatory. But I've already had enough of the uncertainty the worry the sleepless nights. Only thing I've got is my job and I can't keep having time off sorting things out or that'll be next. People keep saying it gets easier but I don't see how when im losing everything. Only good thing is I can get see mum every day where she is..

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You can do the basic sums Crestfallen.

Mum has a house with a mortgage. If it sold, even in the condition it is in, its would sell for approx. ( X amount)

The outstanding mortgage that would need to be paid off ( Y)

X minus Y= The value of her asset if she sold.

That needs to be added to any savings she has in the bank = basically her assets (A)

If her assets exceed £23 k , she 'll be self funding,
Less, the council will pay all or part

You could also add up her income.

If you get the disregard, you'll still need the other figures