Help with transport?

currywurst

Jan 29, 2006
Hello everyone and happy new year!

I have been looking after mum for two years in March since my father died. In that time she has deteriated quite a bit but mostly with her mobility. I am now unable to get mum in and out of the car by myself which means we are both housebound during the week and can only get out at the weekends when my husband is here to help me with mum in and out of the car.

my question is whether there is any help available out there for a grant or something to put towards a wheelchair accessible car? I know I'm probably grabbing at straws but if you don't ask.....

Actually a bit annoyed as my uncle has EPA for mum and she has savings and I asked my uncle if we could consider getting a car as mum enjoyed the trips out we did to the garden centre and the walks round the lakes etc but apparently he is concerned that mum won't have any money left if she ever goes into care, never mind the importance of mum's quality of life, that doesn't seem important to him, I even offered to sell my own car to part fund it, anyway that's another story!

Mum receives attendance allowance by the way.

Thanks in advance

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello currywurst

Sorry to hear about your mum. Although I can't offer anything useful in terms of advice on obtaining funding for a wheelchair accessible car, I can understand your frustrations about your uncle having EPA control and not wanting to release any money! As you say, your mum needs help NOW. It seems rather selfish of him to be keeping it back if she needs to go into care. In any case, I can't see how spending some of the money now would affect her. I'm guessing here, but wouldn't it mean she had less to pay if and when she does go into a home? (If her assets are reduced) Perhaps you can investigate that, and put it to your uncle.

Also, have you a blue disabled badge? This might go some way in helping with your current situation until you sort out the wheelchair side of things. I know it won't help you when struggling to get your mum in and out of the car, but it means you don't have to travel as far to wherever you need to go.

Take care and keep us posted.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Currywurst

I'm sure you can get help for a motability car, you need to contact social services.

AS for the EPA, what your uncle is doing is illegal. Under the terms of the EPA he has to use the money for the benefit of the grantor, taking account of the wishes of the grantor.

And Lucille is right, if your Mum's money is spent, you will not have to contribute to long-term care.

I think you should consult the AS helpline on both matters.

Good luck

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi currywurst,

Before tackling the EPA/uncle issue, I think that I would investigate the possible solutions and associated costs. You're more likely to get a positive response if it's clear that you've idenified the best option for you and your mum and have a realistic idea of the costs involved.

One place to start would be with an Occupational Therapist (OT) which your GP or social worker should be able to arrange. They could come out and do an assessment of the best options for you to be able to get your mum into a car safely.

There are other options besides a new car, for example hoists designed for lifting people into cars. There is a rather good web site with reports on these types of devices:

http://www.ricability.org.uk/reports/report-mobility.htm

Take care,

Sandy

currywurst

Jan 29, 2006
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Well I have taken your very helpful suggestions and contacted first the AS helpline who said that there wasn't any grants for a WA car available that they are aware of, although it is possible to have the VAT excluded.

Also contacted SS who have given me the OT number to call in the morning who will be able to give an assessment regarding access in and out of the car.

The link that Sandy included is really helpful and gave some good options.

Also contacting SS was really constructive as they were particularly helpful today and are going to get me some help with showering mum as her mobility is now quite bad so all in all a good result today :)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Sounds like today was a productive day for you - well done!

Glad to hear that the information was useful. Let us know how you get on with the OT and SS.

Take care,

Sandy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL