1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Whisperer

Whisperer Registered User

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Hampshire
    Hoping someone can come up with a helpful suggestion. My mum has no toileting problem as regards incontinence. The problem is she has the odd trouble getting off the toilet, usually when going to bed. I suspect a large part of this is tiredness. There are hand rails but my mum seems unable or reluctant to use these. I have to lift her off these circumstances. The ironic thing is she goes during the night and has no problem getting herself up. Are there any other aides I can consider? I work two 6 hour night shifts a week having given up full time work to care for my mum. I do not want to lose my one real contact with the outside world, but I could not leave my mum potentially stuck on a toilet for hours during the night. Hope someone can offer up a solution. Thank you for reading this thread.

2. RosettaT

RosettaT Registered User

Sep 9, 2018
    Female
    Mid Lincs
    Do you think a raised toilet seat would help her?

3. pevensey

pevensey Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    Female
    South East Coast.
    My hubby ha a raised toilet seat with rails each side, he was struggling to get off toilet and pulling on the loo roll holder, was forever pulling it out of the wall. He has no problems now.
    The OT people recommended it.

4. CardiffGirlInEssex

CardiffGirlInEssex Registered User

Oct 6, 2018
    When you mention hand rails, are these fixed to the wall, or are they the "chair arms" type that fit either side of the toilet? My parents both find this latter type very useful. They are more to help push yourself up, like getting up from a chair.

5. Whisperer

Whisperer Registered User

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Hampshire
    The
    handrails are fixed to the wall. Pleased can you advise the manufacturer of the rails you mention. My mum can get out of her armchair using hand rails she can push down on. What you describe sounds like a good solution to my problem. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. Hope to hear from you soon.

6. Jale

Jale Registered User

Jul 9, 2018
    Female
    We had the frame that fits around the toilet for Mum, (think it came from Amazon as it was cheaper than through a mobility shop) - google toilet frames and they should come up. The legs on them were able to be heightened or lowered to suit, you may find that if you have an OT they may be able to get you one