Help with taking pills please

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
This problem has just started. Dee needs to take a tiny pill in the morning to counteract stomach acid.

But she has taken to concealing it in her mouth and losing it during breakfast time.

Also she has become difficult taking other tablets which our GP thinks she really ought to take to deal with pain from a spinal injury. Dee doesn't have AD tablets as her stomach reacted badly during the trials.

In most other respects she is still very co-operative and accepts what I ask or do.

Any suggestions please to help with pill taking - Cliff

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Medication in Syrup form

Hi Cliff

Tablet taking with Dad can be a real ordeal - when he has a "window of co-operation" generally no problem (although I do use a "pill-cutter" for the larger ones, but when he can't or won't co-operate it can be a real trial.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on here to have had the awful experience of having tablets spat out at me (literally!) on Dad's "worse days".

A good friend of mine who is a nurse suggested I ask Dad's GP for medication where possible in syrup form. Obviously not all medication is available in this form - but I was surprised to find that his antibiotics were available in syrup form and painkillers are available in orange or blackcurrent flavours - presumeable aimed at children. It has proved a lot easier to get Dad to drink these - sadly he still has a number of tablets to take too.

The old fashioned method of crushing tablets into a spoonfull of jam may be OK - but check with your GP as I am advised that some tablets should be swallowed whole & not crushed.

Hope this may help & good luck.

Gill x

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi cliff

my mum also has periods of concealing medication in her mouth, the hospital uses youghurt with her especially if the tablet is small enough to swallow.
good luck
donna

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Cliff,

If the tablet is very small, I`d try Donna`s tip of giving it with yoghurt. I`d also find out from the GP whether or not it`s detrimental to crush any of her other medication. Someone on the Forum suggested a tablet in a spoonful of chocolate spread, but it would depend on how many she has to take.

My husband conceals his in his mouth, then throws them out of the toilet window. Alzheimers or not, he has sussed out the one place I don`t follow him.............yet. ;)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John takes pills without complaint, the trouble is he tries to chew them instead of swallow. It's not too much of a problem with most of them, but one is a delayed-release capsule!

I have to stand over him, and if I see him starting to chew, try everything I can to distract him. He does seem to be getting the message at the moment, but I don't know how long that will last!

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Thank you all - you are marvellous replying so quickly.

There's enough there for me to try, Thankfully it has only just started so may be able to nip it before it becomes a habit.

I'll put my pea-shooter away now :) as you have better suggestions,

Love to you all - Cliff

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Cliff,

You've already had suggestions (which I can't better) about taking pills generally, but what caught my eye was "Dee doesn't have AD tablets as her stomach reacted badly during the trials."

My Mum has a sensitive stomach (history of peptic ulcer years ago) so when she was first prescribed Aricept I asked the Dr if there was anything he could suggest to avoid upset/nausea, as these were mentioned quite prominently in the advisory notes. She now takes a 'buffering' capsule called Omeprazole, 1 a day, which lines the tum & protects it. Would it be worth investigating for Dee, if it would enable her to take AD tabs. to support her memory etc.? Just a thought.

Best wishes

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Bless you Lynne,

hadn't heard of that. Will chase it. The thought of having just a little bit of Dee back would be marvelous,

Thank you - Cliff

jeanierec

May 7, 2007
north yorkshire
Hi Cliff

I have Oesophagitus and the Omeprazole didn`t suit me so if you get this prescibed and it doesn`t suit there is also Lanzoprazole which i`m great on its just a case of finding the right remedy.

Jeanie x

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Thank you Jeanie,

Have noted both named tablets now. We are seeing the MHN tomorrow for Dee's 3 monthly examination and will dicuss this with her and take it from there.

Unfortunately I handed back all the AD tablets after Dee reacted so badly with diarrhoea - but will try to restart the tests as I believe it will be so worthwhile for Dee to take the AD tablets. Strangely, my normally very supportive GP was almost dismissive about the AD tablets - maybe she didn't want me to build up my hopes too much as she is a very caring doctor.

Again, thanks to you and everyone - Cliff

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Cliff, I know the AD tablets don't work for everyone, but John has been on Reminyl (galantamine) since day 1, and it has had a wonderful effect on him. I do hope you can find a way for Dee to tolerate them.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Strangely, my normally very supportive GP was almost dismissive about the AD tablets - maybe she didn't want me to build up my hopes too much as she is a very caring doctor

Hi Cliff, I found the same response with mum's GP. Mum did try one lot of alz medication, that had bad side effects and her geriatrician stopped them, nothing else was offered. A few months back through the local dementia support group, a dementia forum was held and the guest speaker was the head geriatrician from the local hospital, I was quite taken back by her response to the alz meds it was just short of been negative. Medication is far too late now for mum, but if I knew then what I know now, regarding other peoples opinions on the meds and what a difference they make, I would have urged mum to try something else. I wish you and Dee the very best. Taffy.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Taffy and everyone replying,

This is all very encouraging, Will be interesting to see what the response of the MHN is tomorrow. She seems very caring and will know the system backwards - we'll see.

What a marvellous site TP is and the contributors are so helpful. Have only been using TP for a week and feel so "connected" already.

Thanks - Cliff

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Good news.

Dee went for her 3 monthly service this morning and I asked about Omeprazole, Lanzoprazole and Reminyl and the very helpful MHN will discuss it with the consultant this afternoon, so fingers crossed.

Interestingly, Dee got a higher marking today than the last two times. She scored on the month, year and season questions. So thankfully Dee has been looking at the white-board I keep in the kitchen with today's activities on. Although I never see her reading it, she has. Felt so proud of her.

TP is a God-Send, you talk to real people with real experience.

Once again, thank you to everyone - Cliff :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That's great news, Cliff. Let's hope the consultant will agree to give the medication a try.

And well done Dee for doing so well. It sounds as if Reminyl would benefit her, if she can tolerate it.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
All these kind suggestions made me realise how much more there is to treating AD.

My very helpful MHN has phoned this pm saying she has spoken to the consultant and he has agreed to more trials of tablets for Dee.

Without TP, would never have thought of questioning the stopping of trials.

Will go to bed tonight with Dee, who doesn't know me, hoping things will get a little better.

Am so grateful to you all - Cliff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorfolkRambler