help with symptoms again please

anti

Jul 14, 2010
northumberland
hi all would just like to know if anyone has had poblams with speech husband has trouble swollowing and slered speech at times today his speech sounds ecoie please any advise is much appreciated thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello anti

I think you will find this is very common among some people with dementia. I can only suggest you ask to be referred to a Speech and Language Therapist [SaLT] who will not only be able to advise on the speech problems but on the swallowing problems too.

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Hi anti - not to worry you but I would suggest you seek a SaLT referral asap as the strange voice may indicate that he is not swallowing properly which can cause a chest infection as food can get onto his chest rather than going into the stomach and this needs to be looked at sooner rather than later. There is a lot that the speech therapist can do to help.

Regards, Kate.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Anti,

I think it may take a while to get to see a Speech and Language therapist and so I think you might be better to get the GP to examine your husband's chest. Has your husband's speech changed suddenly? If there seems to be an echo when your husband speaks, I think I would ask for him to be seen by a GP today.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on and I hope that you get some help.

Love

anti

Jul 14, 2010
northumberland
hi all and thankyou speech theripast is coming in on tuesday he is still loosing waight just skin and bone doctor and nurse are realy good always there at they end of the phone anytime but say this is all part of this cruel illness but seems to be happining far to quick thanks all for your concern and support

anti

Jul 14, 2010
northumberland
help with symtoms again please

hi all and thanks slt been but has not seen these symtoms before with swollin tougne and swollowing is going to look further afield she could see his swollin toungh was giving him problems ie talking swallowing hs waight is now under 8stone is now having a lot of nose bleeds have to have bloods and urine bp done on thursday any advise most welcome thanks