1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

help with symptoms again please

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by anti, Nov 18, 2010.

1. anti

anti Registered User

Jul 14, 2010
    northumberland
    hi all would just like to know if anyone has had poblams with speech husband has trouble swollowing and slered speech at times today his speech sounds ecoie please any advise is much appreciated thanks

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello anti

I think you will find this is very common among some people with dementia. I can only suggest you ask to be referred to a Speech and Language Therapist [SaLT] who will not only be able to advise on the speech problems but on the swallowing problems too.

3. MrsP

MrsP Registered User

Mar 19, 2005
    Hi anti - not to worry you but I would suggest you seek a SaLT referral asap as the strange voice may indicate that he is not swallowing properly which can cause a chest infection as food can get onto his chest rather than going into the stomach and this needs to be looked at sooner rather than later. There is a lot that the speech therapist can do to help.

Regards, Kate.

4. Helen33

Helen33 Registered User

Jul 20, 2008
    Dear Anti,

I think it may take a while to get to see a Speech and Language therapist and so I think you might be better to get the GP to examine your husband's chest. Has your husband's speech changed suddenly? If there seems to be an echo when your husband speaks, I think I would ask for him to be seen by a GP today.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on and I hope that you get some help.

Love

5. anti

anti Registered User

Jul 14, 2010
    northumberland
    hi all and thankyou speech theripast is coming in on tuesday he is still loosing waight just skin and bone doctor and nurse are realy good always there at they end of the phone anytime but say this is all part of this cruel illness but seems to be happining far to quick thanks all for your concern and support

6. anti

anti Registered User

Jul 14, 2010
    northumberland
    help with symtoms again please

hi all and thanks slt been but has not seen these symtoms before with swollin tougne and swollowing is going to look further afield she could see his swollin toungh was giving him problems ie talking swallowing hs waight is now under 8stone is now having a lot of nose bleeds have to have bloods and urine bp done on thursday any advise most welcome thanks