Help with Self employed carer

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Anney63, I don't think visitors should be allowed for the carer. It puts your relatives in danger. You don't know who the visitor is....totally inappropriate IMO.

I think you need several carers who take turns in looking after your relatives. There is a woman in our village who has a team of carers, I think they spend a week or two before the next one takes over.

I suspect that an agency arranges for their carers. It won't be cheap but would be on a more professional basis than your current arrangement.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
who is part funded by Social Services.

Excuse my asking but this needs addressing. Under what circumstances are the SS part funding the Carer and for who's benefit? I cannot believe that they would be funding certain hours of a private arrangement, and permitting the family to employ the same person on more hours than would be considered full-time. Again there is is the side issue of NI, PAYE, Liability insurance, Holiday and Sickness. Under the laws governing self employment, I believe that it may be unlawful for someone who is claiming self employment to work solely for one employer. However my immediate concern is that the SS participation in this arrangement seems most odd. I think that perhaps a Needs Re-Assessment is due.

Last edited:

Anney63

Oct 5, 2016
They are funded under direct payment.She pays her own Tax and NI and invoices us. We have at last reached a compromise and are going to see if Social Services can put them in a home together I can at least rest easy, I wasn't get an individual in through an agency I was getting an agency in to sort live in care how they see fit and they would have managed it We are now at last singing from the same Hymn Book and I can have a nights sleep. Thank you all for your comments it was nice to be able to discuss my problems. My MIL and I have always been really close but I think now puyying them together in a Care Home is the best if its possible

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You got them to see what really needs to be done. Residential carer worked well for a short time, but thankfully they now see the logic in considering a care home. Really hope your preferred care home will have 2 vacancies very, very soon.

If you feel you can, don't forget to post an update.

bumblefeet

Oct 25, 2016
I think that you've done the right thing.
It seems to me that the carer needed changing, if she isn't doing things such as the daily logs etc.
A care home for both sisters would be ideal, and take the weight off your shoulders, you can go and visit MIL now, and it can just be that, a visit, not a list of jobs to do etc.

As an aside, I'm a twin, and nothing would fill me with more horror than living in the same care home as my other half! Can't flippin' stand her!

I hope all goes well for you and your family. xx