Help with rehoming pets

Bizzylizzy73

Sep 16, 2015
Southport, Merseyside
Thanks to the help of all of you lovely people on these forums, I think I now have a suitable next stage in care for my mum.
The next issue is her pets....
This is a difficult one, as my mum has rescued and cared for animals all her life. She has brought me up with the upmost respect for animals. So now my mum needs more care, the loves of her life her pets, cannot go with her, not even one.
I have managed I think to rehome her springer spaniel, but there are 6 cats! These are the waifs n strays that mum couldn't rehome through her rescue due to their social difficulties! I am taking one for definate with me when I emigrate, who is blind. That still leaves 5!
Two are elderly, who vet suggests may find the flight etc too stressful. I'm considering taking more with me.....
But my question to you is....
Are their any animal charities who particularly help people with Alzheimer's and their pets?
Using a charity to rehome my mums pets is difficult and a bit if a sore subject, as she has always been the charity taking in these animals!
Can anyone advise or help??

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Rehoming cats

Have you thought about your local branch of Cats Protection?

If, as I assume from the tone of your message, your Mum is going into residential care that doesn't allow pets , can you arrange for a visit from a Pets as Therapy dog?

Dog Lady

Dec 22, 2014
I have just had to rehome my MILs 2 dogs. I found a fantastic rescue centre from my vets. They know the lady well and know she will do anything and everything for the animals she looks after and rehomes. Hope your vets can help you.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Pets

Cat's protection will attempt to rehome cats of any age and as far as I know -won't put an animal down. Also as you have a helpful vet, you could put a notice up in the vets (and others nearby) explaining the problem and asking if anyone can take any of the cats. Plenty of animal lovers will see the add and someone may come to the rescue. Fingers crossed. xxx

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I'd have thought the Cinnamon Trust would be the best bet.

Other possibilities:-

Any responsible cat-loving neighbours or friends who may already have some kind of relationship with your mum's pets?
Any financially stable care home that hasn't got a resident cat and would like one?

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
This must be a very common problem.We lost our old GermanShepherd last year ( our 3rdone) and in December got a pup.The rapid deterioration in oh meansI now need to rehome him.I have been putting it off as he is a fab dog and as the dog trainer said ,if you can keep him he will be your best friend In reality oh has become a liabilty with the dog who doesn't know if he is coming or going. I'm going to see if the vets know of any one as my first port of call.I have no idea what my second port might be.Maybe GS rescue but I feel that is too big a step as I need to know or choose his new owner.More dark days and tears.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Thanks to the help of all of you lovely people on these forums, I think I now have a suitable next stage in care for my mum.
This is a difficult one, as my mum has rescued and cared for animals all her life. She has brought me up with the upmost respect for animals. So now my mum needs more care, the loves of her life her pets, cannot go with her, not even one.
I have managed I think to rehome her springer spaniel, but there are 6 cats! These are the waifs n strays that mum couldn't rehome through her rescue due to their social difficulties! I am taking one for definate with me when I emigrate, who is blind. That still leaves 5!
Two are elderly, who vet suggests may find the flight etc too stressful. I'm considering taking more with me.....
Are their any animal charities who particularly help people with Alzheimer's and their pets?

Using a charity to rehome my mums pets is difficult and a bit if a sore subject, as she has always been the charity taking in these animals!

Cinnamon Trust have a list of care homes which allow pets evidently, probably one one pet but worth a look.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
How old are the Cats?

How old are the cats ?

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
The best way of rehoming any animal for whatever reason is with Rescue support. You can keep them at home whilst they look for a new home but the rescue advertise them for you as well as home check etc.

Cat protection league actually do not put down any healthy cat, and offer what they call a Cat Guardian scheme which promises to look after the cat until it is rehomed.

The worst rescue for putting animals to sleep unnecessarily is surprisingly the RSPCA. Most dogs have a breed rescue, GSD have a good nationwide cover that have a great success rate. If anyone has an older dog 7+ there's a group called Oldies Club who look after there dogs in foster homes not kennels and support them throughout.

If you could keep the animal but need more practical help like dog walking etc Cinnamon Trust can arrange for dog walkers to be involved.

The thing to really remember is NEVER offer any pet as a FREE TO GOOD HOME as disgustingly there are lowlife humans who use them as bait for dog fights or sell them on for profit. If you use a rescue they home check, and if the home doesn't work out then it can be returned to them so it's sorted for life really.

Any animal that may have real trouble adjusting or being rehomed maybe better off being left with an animal sanctuary, where they live out their lives with lots of others usually in a farm type area.

hope this helps someone.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Just to say we have visited a Cinnamon Trust home in Devon with friends who live not far away and support it. It was such a lovely place - the sections for both elderly dogs and cats were so wonderfully cosy and homely. We took a lot of Asda cocktail sausages for the dogs!
I think that if they are over 10 they keep them, otherwise they do their best to find them new homes.

Last edited:

Bizzylizzy73

Sep 16, 2015
Southport, Merseyside
Cinnamon trust

Just to let everyone know regarding cinnamon trust. They cannot offer helping rehoming unless you have bequeathed them already! They said they would not be able to help..... Which im finding is the general consensus from all the charities so far.
Family won't help, for what I think are selfish reasons considering mums pets are her main interest and keep her positive.
Ohh my anxiety and mental health... This is so tough :(

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
In our area we have a local animal rescue who rehome for all different reasons, owner dies, moves to housing where no pets allowed. family break up etc. Is there anything like that near you

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Can you put up a notice in all your local vets - just say owner is going into a care home and that they were her life and they will have to be put down and that you are looking for a GOOD home, try all the local vets and then try local businesses beg to put a notice up on staff noticeboards and local council staff notice board, some kind soul will help

Bizzylizzy73

Sep 16, 2015
Southport, Merseyside
Fizzie

I've put notices in my vets. My Facebook page etc. If I could I would just take them with me! I'm shipping two out to Cyprus, but the elderly ones can't, and one is so scared vet advised against the journey.
I'm trying to keep all the anguish away from mum, which is hard hiding my tears! :(