Help with project

rsallen

Nov 30, 2015
PhD study: How could improved design help people living with dementia?

Hello All!

Just a quick post to say hello to everybody on here - I'm pleased to have found Talking Point, as I find reading of other people's experiences so educational.

Just to introduce myself, I'm Ruby. I'm currently studying for a PhD in designing for people who are living with dementia, having completed by Human Factors Ergonomics Masters project also in the field of designing for people with dementia.

I would welcome contact from anybody living with dementia or indeed, people caring for somebody living with dementia - as I am looking to engage with people who are affected by dementia, so that I may find out which issues there are that may be solved by design. I'm here primarily to ask for your advice - as you're the experts - but I also have personal experience of how dementia can affect life for somebody, as my Grandfather is currently living with Vascular Dementia.

I look forward to speaking to anybody who may like to give input to my research.

:)

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP Ruby :)
You'll get lots of ideas & tips just from reading the threads.
I care from my Dad who has vascular dementia.

rsallen

Nov 30, 2015
Thank you! I'm going to have to start working my way through all of the posts... so much to read! :)

Welcome to TP Ruby :)
You'll get lots of ideas & tips just from reading the threads.
I care from my Dad who has vascular dementia.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi rsallen
there is a lot of information on TP - I hope it helps you
students have posted before about projects they have in mind - I'm not sure any were working at PhD level and with personal experience of someone living with dementia
I'm intrigued, therefore by what you may have in mind
is it possible for you to give us more of an idea of your expertise - something about your masters project maybe
otherwise personally I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to respond to such an open enquiry
my dad has Alzheimer's/vascular dementia and Parkinson's

rsallen

Nov 30, 2015
I am beginning to read through others' posts about possible projects they were hoping to pursue, and they're quite interesting! :) I do not have a specific product or service in mind currently, I was just hoping to get an idea of products, services, environments, public services, transport... or anything else... that people living with dementia currently have any difficulties with due to the symptoms of their condition.

I would like to explore what people with dementia would like to influence design change in - it could be something as specific as an individual product that causes limitations for them, or something on a larger scale such as access to public transport. My project is extremely open at the moment, as I am only in week 8 (of three years) of my PhD studies... but I would like the opinions and thoughts of people living with dementia to drive which direction my research may follow - after all, I want to try to make a real difference to something that people would like to be improved! :)

I will, of course, periodically, post on TP about my research, to canvass opinions about its direction and content - but I thought I may see if anyone has any strong opinions on designs that need some attention! They don't have to be physical designs, it could be something less obvious such as the design of the process of accessing information online, for instance - any ideas are welcome at this point! :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my original post! :)

Hi rsallen
there is a lot of information on TP - I hope it helps you
students have posted before about projects they have in mind - I'm not sure any were working at PhD level and with personal experience of someone living with dementia
I'm intrigued, therefore by what you may have in mind
is it possible for you to give us more of an idea of your expertise - something about your masters project maybe
otherwise personally I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to respond to such an open enquiry
my dad has Alzheimer's/vascular dementia and Parkinson's

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi rsallen,

Well done for wanting to improve the lot of both carers and carees. I think the one thing that would earn you our undying gratitude is a way of providing an app onto which is uploaded all the documents, appointments and meetings with all the people into which we all come into contact with which will continually badger those people who do not do the things they promise! I am not being facetious in any way, if you continue to read the posts on here you will see that the greatest frustration is dealing with all of the organisations and sections of the social and health care systems which are just NOT connected. Only today we read of someone who had been let down by the professions when they desperately needed a break from caring for two people. I bet you the people who cancelled the much needed rest were not aware of the personal situation.

If you fix this then you will qualify for a knighthood and sainthood!

Best wishes and good luck over the next 3 years.

rsallen

Nov 30, 2015
Hello Bizzylizzy! I'm currently trying to get a better idea of which products/services/environment/transport/anything else designs may need some attention from the perspective of people with dementia and their carers. If you have any areas or specific ideas that you feel need to be given some careful thought in respect to using design to help people living with dementia, please do post here with them - I'm hoping to build an idea of the bigger picture of what people really need that isn't currently provided. :)

I'm very interested in any new tech or tools etc that may be available in future. Any help I can offer. I'm a carer of my mum who has early/mid Alzheimer's

rsallen

Nov 30, 2015
Hello loveahug!

Thank you for your response, I really do appreciate people taking their time to give me an insight to the world of living with dementia as the person with dementia themselves, or as a carer.

I have noticed there certainly seem to be some communication/care follow up issues just from reading a little on this forum. I will ensure that large-scale problem goes onto my list of potential research directions - it would be a good area to explore from a human factors perspective!

Thanks again :)

Hi rsallen,

Well done for wanting to improve the lot of both carers and carees. I think the one thing that would earn you our undying gratitude is a way of providing an app onto which is uploaded all the documents, appointments and meetings with all the people into which we all come into contact with which will continually badger those people who do not do the things they promise! I am not being facetious in any way, if you continue to read the posts on here you will see that the greatest frustration is dealing with all of the organisations and sections of the social and health care systems which are just NOT connected. Only today we read of someone who had been let down by the professions when they desperately needed a break from caring for two people. I bet you the people who cancelled the much needed rest were not aware of the personal situation.

If you fix this then you will qualify for a knighthood and sainthood!

Best wishes and good luck over the next 3 years.